Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Encrypted Data + How to filter it out Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
jennifer_falcon
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Quote jennifer_falcon Replybullet Topic: Encrypted Data + How to filter it out
     Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:48am
Good Day,

I am having an issue running a report against a field with partially encrypted data.

The field is a string field in Crystal. It's called proc_started_calc.

Some of the data appears as
04:17:43
08:15:56
1 06:37:31
5 07:20:13

It is meant to be a stop watch for when work starts and ends.

Due to a system issue, some of the data in our database was encrypted. I don't know how this happened. All I know is I need to run reports on the data that isn't encrypted. Or, I have to find a way to decrypt the data in my Crystal Reports

The data that is encrypted looks like
8683673C0C39B2C943176477DD6
2DC1BFBE99AA6E39FFCA3566E728

etc

I would like to A - either decrypt this data or B - ignore it. I just don't know how to filter it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I am using Crystal Reports XI against a DB2 database.




IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 9:04am
I would probably try a for loop and see if you get a 'TRUE' from the IsTime() function (since that is what I can see is a time in the data.
 
local numbervar iCount :=0;
 
do while Not isTime(mid({table.field}, iCount + 1)) and iCount < Len({table.field})
  iCount := iCount + 1;
 
iCount <> Len({table.field})
 
this formula will return True if the data is valid, false if encrypted.
 
Without knowing the encryption method and key, the odds of deciphering the data is pretty slim.  If you knew what it equated to, it might be possible, otherwise it is just the jibberish you see.
 
the syntax might be off (I don't use loops too often) so I would double check with the Help files in Crystal.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
jennifer_falcon
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Quote jennifer_falcon Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 9:22am
I wish I was an expert like you! With a minor tweek, I was able to filter out the data!

local numbervar iCount :=0;
 
while Not isTime(mid({table.field}, iCount + 1)) and iCount < Len({table.field})
  do iCount := iCount + 1;
 
iCount <> Len({table.field})

Thank-you so much!!! I appreciate your help!!!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum