Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Grouping Question Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
SBGSmith
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote SBGSmith Replybullet Topic: Grouping Question
     Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:59am
I wanted to see if anyone has some suggestions on how to handle the following.
 
I have a grouping for a form letter report.  I want to check that grouping to see if it will spans more than one page and if so flag those that span multiple pages so they can be grouped together at the begining.  I guess a group based on whether another group spans more than one page?  I haven't had much luck digging around for a solution.
 
I have thought about doing something on the stored procedure side to count how many records there will be for each grouping, but I wanted to see if there was something I could do in Crystal.
 
Thanks.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 3:33am
just go into the group expert,
select the group in the group by window
hit options
options tab
check 'keep group together' as true
IP IP Logged
SBGSmith
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote SBGSmith Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 3:52am
I don't see how that will move the ones that span multiple pages to the beginning of the report.  I want to have the single page statements together and the multiple page statements together.  Mainly so you don't have to go through all the printed statements to separate out the multiple page ones before running through a fold/insert machine.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 4:00am
Ah I misunderstood you question.
Use TOP N group sorting.
Do a record count at the group level. USe any field that is on every row.
Once inserted into the report the group sort expert will become activated.
ckick on it
select TOP N based on yuor record count where n is a number far gereater than all of the groups that could be in your report
IP IP Logged
SBGSmith
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote SBGSmith Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 4:27am

Thanks so much.  That is what I was looking for.

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum