Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Grouping records within the same time frame Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
drummachine24
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote drummachine24 Replybullet Topic: Grouping records within the same time frame
     Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 2:44am
Good day all! I'm hoping someone out there can really help me figure this report out!!  Here's the jist;
 
We use Cisco Call Manager for our VoIP telephone system, and with Call Manager, there is a database assigned to it for the Call Detail Records (CDR).
 
I am being asked to comprise a report that shows my management staff when our max concurrent calls are reached throughout the day, within a given time frame of dates (So, say, for the last 120 days).  PArdon me if I'm not making sense yet, hopefully I can explain it by the end.
 
So, basically, the CDR database will hold all the info on the calls incoming and outgoing, dates and times, duration, yadda, yadda for each call - What I need to be able to show is how many calls werer happening AT THE SAME TIME.  The hard part is though, that the calls obviously don't need to start and / or end at the same time, just have happened within the same period of time.
 
For example - I have Call #1:
Call started at 12:03PM and ended at 12:56PM
 
Call#2:
Call started at 12:25PM and ended at 1:10PM
 
Call #3:
Call started at 1:00PM and ended 1:15PM
 
So, all 3 of these calls were going on within the same period of time at some point.  What I need to do is group the records that happen together and group it by hour and show an average count of concurrent calls within that hour.
 
Btw, I'm a novice at Crystal Reports!
 
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
 
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:32am

what are you defining as the saem time point in time? Do you want to know which hour had the most phone calls, which 1/2 hour, minute, second?

This will greatly impact the design.
IP IP Logged
drummachine24
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote drummachine24 Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:28am
Well, That is something that I'm not quite sure about - I want something that is the most accurate, but isn't extremely difficult - I think I would like the calls evaluated at the minute level, unless going down the the second isn't that much more difficult, but maybe averaged and grouped by the hour, or the half hour - or even show a percentage of concurrent calls per the hour( meaning what percent of the hour was taken up by concurernt calls).  What would you suggest to kind of even out the accuracy with the complexity.
 
Thank you very much!
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:16am

no option is good here but I think the easier might be to create a data source/table with all of the times you want to evaluate (eahc minute) and then do a join on it to the source table so the minute is joined to be>=begintime field and <=endtime field in your CDR.

otherwise you will have to create a RT or formula field for every time frame you want to evaluate(each minute) which would be a nightmare.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum