| Author |
Message |
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Topic: Group Summary on Header Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 11:55pm |
|
Hi Reader,
I am relatively new to reporting (Crystal Reports 11.5). I am stuck at a particular situation and there are no experts around. :(
Let me explain the situation. I have a list of users and their status across departments
UserID Status Department
01 Active IT
01 Active Docs
02 Active IT
03 Suspended Docs
04 Leave Docs
I need to find the distinct count of number of users having a particular status. In this case,
Active - 2
Suspended - 1
Leave - 1
The result set is grouped by Status and User.
I tried using doing a right-click -> insert -> summary and did a distinct count at Status group level. This gives the required result set but this is present at the group header.
I want this summary to be present in the report header and I don't seem to be able to do this. When I copy it there, the result set gets weird. Please help me out. Or let me know if this is to be done any other way.
Thanks [COLOR=red]COLOR=red[/COLOR]
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:28am |
group by status and insert a distinctcount of userid at that group level
DistinctCount(table.userid,table.status)
|
IP Logged |
|
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:10am |
|
Thanks DBlank.
Actually, I already tried this and it does give me the required result in the group header. But as I mentioned, I require this DistinctCount result to be present in the Report Header and when I move this to Report Header, it is not giving me proper results.
Edited by manug87 - 30 Sep 2010 at 8:11am
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:10am |
Use a CrossTab
row =Status
summarized field=distinctcount of userid
you can alter the lines and supress totals as desired
|
IP Logged |
|
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:59pm |
|
Thanks a lot again.
The totals appear perfectly but the look of the cross-tab is not exactly that I require. I want a description to appear in the place where the Status appears in the row.
Is it possible to modify the look in cross-tabs? I mean the row name part of it.
|
IP Logged |
|
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 2:03am |
|
Ok. Looks like I have figured out how to change those names :). Achieved that using formulas.
I apologize for not putting it forward before, but I have 2 other possible status too - 'Deceased' and 'Retired'. I require to total these 2 along with 'Leave' Status and get that in a single row. Could this be possible to be done with the cross-tabs?
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:27am |
you can create a formula to convert your status field to whatyever you want then use the formula field in the CT instead of the status.field.
Example:
if table.status in ['Deceased','Retired','Leave'] then 'Your description here'
else if table.status='active' then 'your other text here'
else if table.status='suspended' then 'xxx'
else 'xxx' Edited by DBlank - 01 Oct 2010 at 4:27am
|
IP Logged |
|
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:35am |
|
Wow! Awesome. Worked like a charm. Thanks again.
In the final else clause, when it does not match to any status, it would be great if I could suppress it. I am giving the text as 'Unknown'.
I used this formula in suppress field on the row name:
if CurrentFieldValue='Unknown' then true
But this just suppresses the row name value, but still the count for it is displayed. Is it possible to suppress the entire row?
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:00am |
are you excluding them in the rest of the report?
if so drop them using the select expert. If not try a new post as I think you can supress an entire row in a CT but cannot remember how at the moment nor am I at a machine to look it up.
Sorry.
|
IP Logged |
|
manug87
Newbie
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:19am |
|
This is actually a report for audit purposes. The 'Unknown' status are required in the detail section but must be suppressed in the CT. So select expert cannot be utilized. I have been trying to get this done for the past 2 hours or so, but I am not getting any further ideas.
Please let me know any ideas once you get a chance.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|