I am using Crystal Reports XI Developer. My report has several different groups each with monetary calculations at the Detail level. One of my Detail line calculations requires the Sum of data derived from other groups in the report (multiplied by a set variable). I have been able to create a formula that sums the required data from the other groups; however, when I place this Sum formula in my Detail line item formula, I get the "This Field Cannot Be Summarized" error message. The formula works correctly for all other line items.
As an example, there are 4 Groups (A-D) with multiple line items in each. To calculate "Profit," my Detail line calculation looks at the group type and applies the appropriate % to each line item (via an IF/THEN stmt). The Profit calculation in my last group (D) is based upon the sum of amounts obtained from Groups A-C. As soon as I add this Sum formula (of items from other groups), I get the error. I do not need the Sum to show up anywhere in the report - I only need it for a calculation of Profit in Group D.
Any insights are greatly appreciated!