Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: ReUsing Running Total Fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
BobSullivan
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote BobSullivan Replybullet Topic: ReUsing Running Total Fields
     Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:13am
I'm running Crystal Reports 2008 in standalone mode, not from a server.
 
I've got to create two reports based different queries ofthe same dataset. The two queries produce results incorporating many of the same fields in their respective results. In creating the first report, I've created a rather lengthy list of running total fields. I've created the second report by using the Save As command and renaming the report. Now, I have to go into the database expert and get the other query. When I do this, and remove the original query, all the formula fields remain, but all the running totals disappear. So my question is,
 
Can you copy running total fields from one report to another report?
 
If not, is there a way to preserve running total fields when switching data sources?
 
Thanks for any help provided.
Cordially,
Bob Sullivan
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:25am
I have.  I just selected the RT's (on the report page) and did a copy/paste on to the other report.  I have also done this with formulas.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:31am
Kevlray,
the RTs copy over if the source names are the same but not if you have a different source...
is that correct?
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:33am
I have never tried when the source names are different, so I do not know.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:38am
gotcha.
I had copied formulas bewteen reports before but hadn't tried with RTs.
Just tried to copy a RT but didn't work as I was using two different SQL views in the 2 reports and it choked on the unknown field name.
Nice shortcut if the sources are the same though.
 
Thanks for the tipThumbs%20Up
 
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:40am
I just tried with two different data sources, one is our production machine, the other is our report machine.  They have all the same tables.  Copying works that way.  We don't use views much :-(
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum