Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports 8.5 Question Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
TomDesigner
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote TomDesigner Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports 8.5 Question
     Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:47am
I'm attempting to create a report connecting to SQL backend tables.  I have good confidence that I am linking the correct fields between tables.  The application tables relate to box entries in a process related to authorizing box destruction.  The BOX table has information about the box and is tied to the destruction batch items table by the box number which is duplicated in the Destruction Batch Items table only for the boxes which contain a Destruction batch number (i.e. the destruction batch number is not a field in the Box table, but the box numbers which have been added to destruction batches are duplicated in the Destruction Batch table.  Boxes qualify based on a calcualted destruction date in the Box table.  Boxes are only added to a destruction batch if fully approved for destruction so not all boxes which qualify are in a destruction batch.   I can easily report all boxes which appear in a destruction batch so I can report the rule.  I'm having trouble reporting the exception which would be a report showing the boxes which qualify (based on a calculated destruction date), but where there is no Box Number (duplicated) in the Batch Items table meaning it has not been approved.
 
I think the problem is I don't know how to tell the report designer to show a result where there is a null for a field.  I'm sure there is a way to do it and have tried ISNULL as a Select Expert formula, but it only returns no results.  I also think I'm having trouble conceptualizing the design process when there is a Box table with Box Number, but without the Destruction Batch number.  Instead there is a Destruction Batch Item field in the Destruction Batch table which contains a duplicate of the box numbers which have been fully authorized.
 
I hope the explanation helps.  I can go into better or more detail on request.  I'm just stuck at this point.  The end product would be a report which contains only boxes (and Box table information for these boxes) which are not showing as items in a destruciton batch.
 
Tom
Tom
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 12:13pm
Unfortunately it is hard for me to follow what you are attempting to do.  A couple of things to check.  1. Under the file menu item and 'Report Options', there is a check box for 'Convert NULL Field Value to Default'.  This will change how Nulls are handled. 2.  I having a hard time detemining if your report is based on one table or multiple tables, if you are using multple tables and using an inner join on a field that can be null, then none of the records with the null value will be shown.
 
I hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:41am

You want to link FROM the Box table, TO the Destruction Batch table with a left outer join.  Then, in the selection criteria, click on the Formula button and type in something like "IsNull({destruction.box_number})" (using the correct field name.)

-Dell


Edited by hilfy - 17 Aug 2010 at 7:42am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum