Marc,
I was able to get a part of the report working using the running total value in the cross tab for every week. But the only issue I have is that if in a week there were no calls for a category then the count is 0.
I am unable to pass the value of the previous grid(row,column) in the crosstab to the next grid if the next grid's value is 0.
The basic idea is to first create a simple report, create groupings by month and use a running total fld that counts the number of open issues per month and reset the value whenever category changes.
Once your groupings are ready throw in a crosstab in the same report report and pull in the running total fld in the summarized flds of the crosstab, you will get the running total per month(remember to use "Summarise Horizontally").
see if it works for you.