Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic Parameters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
oks911
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote oks911 Replybullet Topic: Dynamic Parameters
     Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:29pm
Hello expert,
 
I need to create a parameter with Department, Section, Unit and User.
The 1st level would be Department, 2nd level is section and 3rd level is Unit.
I am able to create the dynamic parameter with the level orders as above.
For instance, when department selected, sections will display based on the department selected. When Section selected, units will display based on section selected.
 
User will be the 4th parameter entry. But i have problem to get the user show up whenever I select department, section or unit.  I tested to put the User as the 4th level of the dynamic parameter, but it only show up to "Unit" users.
 
How to make user display up in the parameter sreen with option by selecting department, section or unit?
 
Thanks for the help.
 
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:10am
are you sure that the there is a user for the selected values?  CR seems to remove values from dynamic lists if they aren't possible.  So if you select a unit that is not linked to any users, then there are no users to display, and no report is possible...makes sense when you think about it.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
oks911
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote oks911 Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:55am
Thanks lockwelle, yes, I am sure there is user for the selected values.

Example data below:

userID      department   section    unit     
-----------  ----------------   -------      ---------
001                   IT            A              2
002                   IT            A              3     
003                   IT            A              NULL
004                   IT            B              4 

Dynamic parameters:
level 1 - Department
level 2 - Section
level 3 - Unit
last level - User

When IT Department selected , section A and B will list in section's parameter box. If section A has been selected,  unit 2 and 3 will display in unit's parameter box. Let say I select unit 2 and 3, user 001 and 002 will list in user parameter column.

How to display user if I select department or section itself? Let say I select IT Department , i want to list all of 4 users. I don't want to drill down until to unit then from there to get the user. The reason is because some of the users do not have unit ID. Therefore I still need them to display in the paramater screen for selection.  Hope you understand my concerns.

Thanks much!

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:34am
that's an issue with the cascading parameters.  I don't use them (we have custom wizards)  but you can probably replace the unit that is null with 'unassigned' or something like that, then you would be able to select them.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
oks911
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote oks911 Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:46pm
thank you so much! you saved my life. Your solution is workable :) 
BTW, can you share with me what's the custom wizards that you used?


Edited by oks911 - 26 Jul 2010 at 4:48pm
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 3:02am
our reports are called from an application, we have developed wizards and controls to populate each parameter selection so that we have complete control over the display and selection of the items on the wizard and how they interact in the calling of a stored procedure to populate the data for the report.  Since we 'push' the data to the report, we don't have to worry about connection to the database either (the application takes care of that).
 
In short the wizards are our own and are based upon the DevComponents DotNetBar wizard.
 
Probably isn't too helpful, but I thought I would let you know.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum