Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Parameter field missing data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
gregharnd
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote gregharnd Replybullet Topic: Parameter field missing data
     Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 8:09am
Hi
 I have a simple report. I am using a dynamic parameter field to list part numbers. When I run report in the drop down it shows about 500 parts but the database has 8500. In crystal reports I can use browse data and see all the part numbers so I know crystal see them. But can never get more than about 500. I saw on post here to change registry for more MaxRowsetRecords which I have tried but no change. Using crystal 2008 here. Here are the two they say to try.
1. Create a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV   then create string MaxRowsetRecords  done this put in 8500 then restart machine and tried no change.
 
2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV    then create string MaxRowsetRecords  done this put in 8500 then restart machine and tried no change.
 
Not sure what else to try as I have done both of these changes and still cannot get past about 500 records.
 
Anyone please help!   Thanks Greg
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:19am
OK, I see this sort of post all the time, and quite frankly, it confuses me.  Why would you list 8500 rows on a parameter listing.  This is just torturing your users to search through all those rows to find the one that they want. 
 
One would think that there needs to be a better way...let them type the list with commas and have the report parse the delimited string. Let them select some other categorizing field and display the items in that. Let them enter the first couple of letters of the items that they are after and display all the items that match.
 
Thinking about it, if they don't know what they are looking for, giving them 8500 choices probably isn't going to help and having them select say 10 from the list is going to be a pain.
 
I don't know the input, I don't know the data, but humans....
IP IP Logged
gregharnd
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote gregharnd Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:45am

First trying to make sure all data is there and will be in a drop down parameter field. Some  people here are not sure of part numbers and would just scroll thru them. You would think that crystal reports would list that we have a limit on data display in a parameter field. Sometime you might display or print this data from a database isn't that what it is for. Our plans are also to build a search box feature for these searches. We did not know there was a limit on this field. I called SAP and the people there did not know this or how to correct. It seems from some of the posts on the internet alot of people did not know this either or have not found a fix. Have not seem to get anyone yet that knows a fix for this in Crystal Reports 2008.

IP IP Logged
sonofphoenix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Location: Philippines
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote sonofphoenix Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:26pm
Helo... we are also experiencing that problem... and it seems that there is no available solution to that as of now...
I hope someone can give us a clear(& working) solution...
 
Thanks..
IP IP Logged
sunnyday
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote sunnyday Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:53am
I am having the same problem too.
So i was wondering, is there a way to limit the amount of data in a second parameter, based on the choice in a first parameter?
IP IP Logged
djwessels
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Quote djwessels Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:28am
@sunnyday:
What you're looking for is possible with Dynamic Cascading Parameters (DCP).
 
When creating dynamic parameters, you can select a series of fields to use, each based on the one above.
 
There is a set limit of 1000 items, which you should be able to increase if necessary by modifying the registry. See the following post for how to do this: http://crystalreportsbook.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8029
 
HTH.
 
 


Edited by djwessels - 30 Sep 2010 at 5:29am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum