Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: disply last three items Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
songbird
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote songbird Replybullet Topic: disply last three items
     Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 6:55am
Is there a way to display only a few of many rows of data (i.e., three most recent gifts from a donor who has given ten)?
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:29am
Top N, but since I never used this feature, I am not too sure what all is involved.  You could probably create your own by keeping a counter and sorting the donations by date.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:05am

To use top - N you have to have a group and a summary (part of the top - N).   I have not used it very much.  I probably work better as lockwelle suggested.

IP IP Logged
songbird
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote songbird Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:58am
Thanks for your replies! I do have both summary & group but am unfamiliar with TopN or how to get to it.  Is that a function?  I usually display the single last gift (descending sort by date & copy/paste into header) - but don't know how to expand that count to 3.  I am able to show the last three dates, but for amount I've only figured out how to show the 3 largest or 3 smallest.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:39am
It is both a function and a option.  The functions are called NthLargest and NthSmallest.  The option is under the Report menu item and is called Group Sort Expert.  Unfortunately I do not think this will work for what you are trying to achieve.
 
Lockwelle suggested doing a counter.   I think if you were grouped by donor, sorted by date (descending), suppress when the counter >10, reset counter at the group level.
 
You also might be able to do a group selection.  I will have to try a test.
 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum