| Author |
Message |
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Topic: Specifying grouping of a group Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:56am |
|
Hi, I've been racking my brains on this and can't figure it out. I'm doing a report that lists stock items issued to a job so have grouped by job number. I've got a formula that groups the stock items into category A, B and C, which is then another group. What I want the report to do is to list A & B category items together, so that rather that the groups will show "A&B" and then "C". Any ideas? Would so appreciate thoughts.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
kevlray
Admin Group
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
|

Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:33am |
"in specified order'. You then can group A&B together. Also 'in specified order', you may want to make the 'Others' as group C.
I hope this helps.
|
IP Logged |
|
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:16am |
|
Thanks Kevlray. I have tried this but should have said in my post that if the job number includes A&B then they should be grouped together, otherwise separately. I wasn't clear on that in my post. This seems to complicate things as using a specified order doesn't allow for an OR.
Edited by iancon - 08 Jul 2010 at 11:03am
|
IP Logged |
|
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:37pm |
|
I'm thinking i may need to use an array function that stores the various stock code groups and then i can analyse the array for it's content. Does that sound possible?
|
IP Logged |
|
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 3:42am |
|
Ok, so what I've done is to set a formula that says if the group = A, B or C then value is 1 else 0. Then I can sum that formula and set the header depending on the value. But i can't summarise a formula that is set at group level. It just tells me that the field can't be summarised. Any ideas as to how i can do this? Thanks so much. Still battling with this!
|
IP Logged |
|
kevlray
Admin Group
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
|

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:53am |
|
Are you doing a count of items in the group. If so, can you do a running total?
|
IP Logged |
|
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:58pm |
|
Count will work, as will sum. When I try do a running total the formula doesn't even appear as an option, i think because it is already summarised as a group. so it doesn't appear that i can do a running total.
|
IP Logged |
|
Emir_W
Senior Member
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 228
|

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:35pm |
i think you can create a formula which will compare the category.
something like:
if item_category="A" or item_category="B" then "A&B"
else "C"
and then make it as a group.
so, you'll get what you want where all items in Category A and B will be in one group (A&B) and the rest will be in C.
and from here you can get the sum for each group.
hope it help.
|
|
Emir W
|
IP Logged |
|
iancon
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Location: Zimbabwe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:53pm |
|
Thanks Emir. The trick is that A&B are only classified as A&B if both exist otherwise separately. By way of example:
JOB, group 1,a 1,b 2,a
would go to 1,a/b 2,a
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|