Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Reserve Minimum Page Footer Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
AntDC
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote AntDC Replybullet Topic: Reserve Minimum Page Footer
     Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 1:18am
Hi,
I am working on an invoice report.
Multiple invoices, which can each have multiple pages are produced.

Now, for the first page of an incvoice ONLY, there is a tear off portion.  This tear off portion is 7cms tall.

This is fine apart from the white space it leaves on pages that do have the tear off.

So, I looked at using "Reserve Minimum Page Footer"
So my page footer has 7 x 1cm sections (a to g).
I have a sub-report on a which has my tear off.
a to g are all suppresss in the same way and I have Reserve Minimum Page Footer checked.

It's not working.

So what's the trick for having a page footer not take up white-space on pages where it isn't show.

Many thanks

Ant
IP IP Logged
AntDC
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote AntDC Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 4:43am
Yeah - I've been looking - No joy.
I can't believe this Crystal "feature-"
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 6:32am
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for,  but you could add a counter to reset on some logic such as a group change. Then suppress the footer when the counter does not equal one. It is simple to add a counter, look the running total dialog to see it does what you want, if not there are manual ways of doing it.  You may be able to base it on the page number itself.
 
If it works then the tear off will show on the first page with the section suppressed on following pages.
 
Hope this is of some help
 
Regards,
 
John W.
IP IP Logged
AntDC
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote AntDC Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 9:08pm
I am able to suppress the page footer.

My problem is that for the pages wher it is suppressed, the space is still reserved.
This results in a lot white space and basically a waste of paper :).

Driving me crazy!
I can't believe that I'm the first person to encounter this.

Ant
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 3:58am
You may need to think through what is actually going on. The page footer is suppressing as you want. The issue is the blank space. The blank space may be more a function of the page size and nothing being printed. The nothing being printed (displayed is what you have told the report to do.
 
I am not sure this is clear but if you have a letter size document and fill it with content and print it the content shows. If you suppress the content it will still print the page but will be empty.
 
So it could be the report is functioning correctly  as it was designed, you may need to rethink the layout a bit more. You may need for example to make use of an added detail section or group to hold your tear off section. Its really hard to get very specific without knowing what it is you have and what it is thats not working.
 
I appreciate that this is frustrating you, white space can be really hard to control and sometimes I have found it easier to change the layout to get closer to what I want.
 
Perhaps other here will have suggestions about the control of white space and will chime in on the conversation.
 
Regards,
 
John W.
 
IP IP Logged
AntDC
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote AntDC Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 4:34am
I do get it and appreciate exactly what you've said.

There are a couple of things on the footer that are conditionally suppressed.
I'll put those in their own section with an 'or' suppression condition; Then at best I can hpe to save the height of that section (of white space) if I utilise "reserve minimum page footer".

Perhaps eliminating page footer white-space is a feature that could be added in future.  :)

Thanks & regards

Ant

IP IP Logged
balino
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote balino Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:54pm
Hi Ant
 
The feature you are talking about is called "Clamping" and can be found in the Section Expert on the page footer section. To make the white space disappear, you need to tick suppress (you can use it with a formula) and tick Clamp Page Footer. It's not available in Crystal 9 and 10 but it does in Crystal 2008, unfortunately I not sure about other versions.
 
I hope this helps?
 
Cheers,
 
Brian Balino
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 4:27am

Brian - thanks for the information. In all my years this is something I have missed. I learned something this morning, and it just points out one more time the value of the forum.

 
Regards,
 
John W.
 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum