Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Topic: Variable scope and formatting Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 6:09pm
I'm doing a validation report. It has a formula which checks the field values and
builds an error string that is printed for each record. In the same
formula it would also be nice to highlight the invalid field by
changing its background color. I could duplicate the error checking logic in the background color of each field but that is a maintenance nightmare.
Is there any way to change the format (eg background color) of a field
using a regular formula? I see no way to reference properties of other fields with crystal.
Another approach: I tried to put the field validation in the background color formula, referencing a global variable, but it does not work. Do variables declared inside formatting formulas live in a different "space" from variables declared in other formulas?
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:09am
in formulas for coloring a field, the entire field will be the same color. Formulas don't give you the option of changing a section of a string to a different color or font.
As for scoping of variables, global is available to the report in which it was declared. I have had no issues with accessing a global variable in a formatting formula.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum