Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Linking Data Tables in Crystal Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
jwebster
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 May 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote jwebster Replybullet Topic: Linking Data Tables in Crystal
     Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:20am

Thanks in advance for any help.  So, I have a series of tables, let's say table1 through table5.

They are linked together via a field which is fine.
 
IN Table1, Table2, and Table3  if you run the report, there are 400 records.  If I add Tables4 and Tables5 to the equation, there are only 300 records. 
 
This is decreasing in record count because Table1 Table2 and Table 3 refer to the invoice and Table4 and Table5 tie to the purchase order.  Not all invoices have a matching purchase order so it is isn't showing all the invoices.
 
I need to somehow formulate the linkage so that regardless, I still get 400 records.  I only care about the data in the other two tables if there is a purchase order matched to the invoice.
 
Is there anyway I can do this?
 
Jim
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:19am
use an outer join in the join instead of the default inner.
 
right click on the link and select left or right outer...I don't know how CR determines the left or right so you will have to experiment.
 
An outer join will take ALL records on one side.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:30am
For what it is worth.  My experience on outer joins is how you make the link.  I do the click drag from one table to another.  The table you drag to will be the right table.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:12am
makes sense, I have just never needed to this in CR.  Hence, I am not conversant....all of my reports run off of stored procs, and there I know left from right....
 
Thanks, for the insight.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum