| Author |
Message |
hari.boyapati
Newbie
Joined: 03 May 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Topic: How to display top 10 records within date range? Posted: 03 May 2010 at 1:30am |
I am trying to display top 10 production orders(sorted by defects linked with each order) within the date range selected by the user.Please advice how to develop this report.
I would like to apply sorting as well as filter together.Please suggest.
Appreciate quick response.
Regards,
Hari
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:19am |
Have you tried looking at help for Top N?
I haven't done a report of this kind, but the help, I have found, actually helpful...at least most of the time.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
hari.boyapati
Newbie
Joined: 03 May 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:42am |
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
I have to apply Top N within the date range selected by the user.
So I have apply "group by" clause for sorting the records as well as "BETWEEN AND" clause.
It is not always top 5 (or) top 10.It is top N,where N will be entered by the user as one of the parameters.
Please advice.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:37am |
As I mentioned, I haven't used this feature. If it is too complex, I would write a stored procedure, then you can use the parameter to select the correct Top N...
I would think that there would be a way, but I don't know...create a formula or running total to display just the items that you are looking for.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:49am |
For a dynamic Top N create a param as numeric. Put any controls you want on it (Min-Max).
In group Sort Expert
Selct TOP N
Where N is - use a formula - make the formula the paramater field
|
IP Logged |
|
hari.boyapati
Newbie
Joined: 03 May 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 7:03am |
Thanks for the responses.
I have one query in this regard:
As I need Top N records within the date range picked by the user,how should I frame my stored procedure?
Please advice..
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 8:00am |
I would have, at a minimum the date start, date end, and topN values as parameters...outside of that I don't know as I don't know anything about the report/data structure. Depending on your desires, you can filter in the sp or in the report, grouping would probably be in the report, just provide the column in the final select of the sp for CR to use.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
hari.boyapati
Newbie
Joined: 03 May 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:16am |
I have one question in this regard.
Is it possible to send a list of values(array of values with , as delimiter) from main report to subreport?
I so far handled only passing a single value from main report to subreport.
Please suggest.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:07am |
While I haven't used arrays much, and I try to avoid subreports, it should be entirely possible to pass an array of delimited values to or from a subreport. You just add 'array' to pass one, like: shared numbervar array x.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|