Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Watch Database \ Email Notification Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rbpd5015
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote rbpd5015 Replybullet Topic: Watch Database \ Email Notification
     Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:55am
Hello everyone I am new to Crystal Reports and seem to have been thrown to the wolves here at work.

I work for a police department in Florida, I have a database that collects GUN SHOT information that is recorded throughout the city. What I have been asked to do is create a report that shows all the gunfire activity we have had in the last 24 hours and have it emailed to the brass at 8 AM everyday.

The second part and I believe more challenging part is to provide email notification every time there is a gunshot. I had an idea of how to do this but do not know if it is feasible.

I was thinking I could run a query every 60 secs to generate a report. this would only show a report for 60 secs. Then I could email that report out. However every time the report is blank an email would be sent to and I do not want that.

I am a novice at Crystal Reports and we are not looking to hire an outside vendor to complete this.

So I hope you guys can help or I will be spending a lot of time  and money at Barnes and Nobles.

Thanks

Matt
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 3:58am

Can't really answer your question but here a a few things to consider.

1. What is your meachanism for email delivery? Usually these have a feature that if the report returns 0 records then no email is generated.
2. How is the data captured and how do you report on it? Gun shot occurance time or gun shot report time or gun shot data entry time or ...? Every 60 seconds may be too often. Also it may have items fall through the cracks. If your report generation and email process takes longer to occur than 60 seconds you are stuck in a nightmare loop.
 
I would start back at the beginning and think about why the specs were designed (what is the desired outcome), how is the data captured, and can this be a reasonable process or is it smarter to just use the phone (the person that logged the gun shot into your DB).


Edited by DBlank - 28 Apr 2010 at 3:59am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum