Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Database Indexing? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
J_vlhs
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote J_vlhs Replybullet Topic: Database Indexing?
     Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:20pm
Within Crystal Reports,

Can I create an idex on a new field within a new database added to a report?

Databases are actually .DAT files from Sage Accpac accounting software...

Thanks in advancd for your help!

John
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:26am
from the report?  Not that I am aware of.  CR reads data, and in rare cases can be made to write data(not something that I am in support of) but creating an index...   I suppose it is possible, but my gut reaction is to not do it... there are several issues and I don't know how good CR is at handling SQL...  CR is basically set up to simple select statements, and I don't know if adding/dropping/checking indexes qualifies as being in the realm of CR...after all, there isn't really any error handling, so when something goes wrong, either you won't know it or CR will close from the error...at least that is my best guess.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 5:45am
I do not believe CR will allow you to create an index on the DB.  But you can create 'Report Bursting Indexes' that will improve the performance of the report.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum