Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Grouping on inferred data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
sempf
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote sempf Replybullet Topic: Grouping on inferred data
     Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 10:43am
I need to group on data that doesn't exist.  This client has customer records that have understood metagroupings that aren't in the database.  So the customer list might look like:

Bill's Stuff
Ted's things
Sam's Industries
Sam's Organization
Fred's store
Ted's Main Office
George's shop

When they summarize the records, they want to group all of Sam's and Ted's sales records together, and leave the other clients grouped as they are.

My constraints:
  Can't alter the database schema, it is a purchased system and the UI is tightly coupled to the schema
  I can add a numeric code for the metacustomers in an unused "accountcode" field
  The records are actually named so that I can do string trickery "If the first six letters are the same group together" but I don't know how to do that"

The question - what is best practice for this kind of grouping, where you have to interpolate the grouping data? 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 12:43pm
I don't know that there is a best practice as each data set and each customers use of that dataset (business rules) are unique.
Since you know unique condition (left 6 characters) you can easily group by creating a formula field and grouping on that. However I would guess you would rather create a group of just the person's name which allways precedes the '. So I would try the formula as;
Left(table.namefield,instr(table.namefield,"'")-1)
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum