Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Splitting a string into two fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
trino
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote trino Replybullet Topic: Splitting a string into two fields
     Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:54am
I am fairly new to crystal reports and have an issue with formatting that is caused by a string being too long for the space on left the page.   The string is so large that it is forcing itself onto a second page.   Is there a way I could split the string when it is too large for the first page and have the overflow on the second page.   The string field is comments field so the text varies.  I think it would ideal to have the string split into two fields one that is up to 3000 characters and anything over 3000 would be a second field.  I would then be able to apply conditional formatting to have that second field display on the second page.  Please help and thank you so you much for your time! 

Edited by trino - 13 Apr 2010 at 6:25am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:03am
You may not have to split it.  Try going to the section expert and un-checking "Keep Together" for the section that this field is in.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
trino
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote trino Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:12am

Thank you so much!!! I didn't try the Keep Together in the Section Expert but I did try fomatting the field in the Format Editor and unchecked the Keep Object Together box.  It worked!!!  Thank you for leading me in that direction!  Have a great day!

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum