| Author |
Message |
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Topic: Troublesome report and running totals Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:13am |
|
This is the report description:
report is grouped on:
Quarter (startdate of event, printed for each quarter) Status of event EventID
All fields, from various tables, are are placed in GH3a (eventID), showing event details GH3b has a three field labels from event_changes table Details section has the three fields from event_changes table, detailing what may have changed in this record during a parameter filled
date
I have had major issues with this report and running totals in GF2 and GF3, where the RT's are reading the event fee for each record times as many instances of change (this could be three, four or five times!). The problem with this is that that fee is only being charged once, not 3, 4, 5 times, so the running totals are significantly off.
In GF2, I was able to use a RT on Event.Fee, evaluating it on change of group EventID and resetting it on change of status, and avoid dup fee addition.
To avoid using running totals and experiencing this issue, I created a formula to sum the eventfee field if quarter and status equaled what I needed them to (example: If {LookUp_ContractStatus.ContractStatusID}=3 or {LookUp_ContractStatus.ContractStatusID}=6 then {Event.Fee}).
I then did a RT on this field summing it by evaluating it on change of field eventID and resetting it on change of group quarter. This has worked fine for GF3 to avoid dup fee addition.
My major issue now is the report footer. I need to sum the Event.Fee across all statuses for each quarter...this will not return the correct value by using any combo of evaluating on groups/fields and resetting on groups/fields. It always adds multiple values wherever there is more than one record in event_changes. I am at a loss here on how to proceed. I also need to sum all event.fees for the time parameter I enter in a separate field. None of these needs can be met. Any help is appreciated.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:35am |
|
Can you post some sample data and expected outcomes
|
IP Logged |
|
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 11:49am |
Here's a sample for a small date range.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 6:20am |
It is really hard to tell from this but you can use formulas for evaluating the data in Running Totals. You likely need to do a SUM of the field and then do a longer eval formula that uses your conditions plus another condition using the previous() or Next() field so it only evaluates once per time you want it to (ignoring the 2 extra rows). something like
({LookUp_ContractStatus.ContractStatusID}=3 or {LookUp_ContractStatus.ContractStatusID}=6) and next(eventname)<>eventname
|
IP Logged |
|
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 2:37am |
|
I'm afraid I don't understand. How do I determine whether or not yo use Previous or Next...the totals I need to see differ based on which of these I use.
|
IP Logged |
|
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 2:35am |
|
bump
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 4:24am |
|
can you post the detail level data and show how you want it summed?
Edited by DBlank - 19 Apr 2010 at 4:24am
|
IP Logged |
|
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 8:29am |
|
DBlank, that is what I posted on 09 Apr 2010 at 11:49am in the image above. You can see where the rt's in the report footer are grabbing the last line of data in the group ($20,468) twice to read $82,270 instead of the $61,802 shown in the quarter footer.
I'm at a loss on how to fix this using the next/previous and onfirstrecord/onlastrecord pieces.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:51am |
Sorry. It is really hard to tell the row level data in that post. Example that there appears not to be a display of the eventg id which is key to the way your RTs are functioning. Also it appears that you have all the dupe rows already suppressed which makes it hard for me to see what the real data looks like, not this already altered version. In order for me to create an RT I have to understand the full scope of the data and how it is grouped, not just how it is currently displayed.
I will still try to help you but I am working in the dark some.
In the RT when you need to do a conditional inclusion of the value you can tell it to 'Use a formula" in the evaluate portion. However that means you cannot use the evaluate on change of a group. To accomidate that you can write in an additional formula part to mimic that as:
Next(table.eventID)<>table.eventid
This will only use one row per 'grouping' of eventid (the last row of the grouping in this case).
So based on your row level data you could use this as part of a RT evaluation formula to try and exclude the duplicated data.
Does any of this help?
|
IP Logged |
|
huddy33
Groupie
Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 54
|

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 7:45am |
Okay, here are some images that I could put together to hopefully give you more clarity. Depending on the date range I set in the parameter and what data shows, the report may or may not be correct. The word example shows where the report pulls incorrectly, not adding totals as it should. The image should show you design view, along with how I am evaluating the incorrect RT's. It all has to do with using that "next" function, I know that, but don't know how to work around it. If you can help with why this isn't working, I will be eternally grateful! Design View: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/floyd33/DesignView-2.jpgReport View: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/floyd33/ReportView.jpg
Edited by huddy33 - 20 Apr 2010 at 7:53am
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|