Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Resolved! Too many Parameter Prompts ! Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bigbloo
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote bigbloo Replybullet Topic: Resolved! Too many Parameter Prompts !
     Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:39am
I have a report that is actually 11 subreports.
Each subreport has the same, identically named two parameters - company and date range.
When I run the report, the dialog box displays 11 sets of prompts, two for each subreport.
 
How can I set it up so only one set of prompt appears for each of company and date range?


Edited by bigbloo - 13 Apr 2010 at 9:26pm
Bigbloo
--------------------------------------------------
Information is power only when it's shared.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:19am
remove all the params from the sub reports and only create 3 for the main report
in the main report create 3 formulas to = each param
link each subreport to these formula fields, they will then show up as params in the subreport which can then be used in those select statements


Edited by DBlank - 07 Apr 2010 at 9:44am
IP IP Logged
vivien
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote vivien Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:47am
I created something similar to your report. That's what I did. On the main report, go to Edit, click Subreport Link, select subreport on For Subreport Link field, select Parameters on Available Field, the Field(s) to Link to will show the Parameters or Fields that you chose, On the bottom left corner you'll see a field called Subreport parameter field to use, select the parameters that you want to link. You'll have to repeat these steps for all your subreports.
 
DO NOT REMOVE PARAMETERS IN SUBREPORTS BECAUSE YOU'LL LINK ALL THOSE TO THE PARAMETERS IN THE MAIN REPORT.
 
I hope this help.


Edited by vivien - 08 Apr 2010 at 4:58am
Shark
IP IP Logged
bigbloo
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote bigbloo Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:21pm
OK this is great! So,
1. I remove the parameters from the subreports and their filters.
2. I click on Edit --> Subreport Links
3. I select the subreports, one by one, in "For subreport" drop down.
4. I select from "Container Report Available Fields", the parameter that appears there ?
5. Then "Subreport parameter field to use:" appears with only "?Pm-?Parmname" appears in drop down.
6. If i check "Select Date in subreport based on field", the drop down activates, but all I see in the drop down is table names.
 
I'm almost there! can you clarify please? - and Thank you!
 
 
Bigbloo
--------------------------------------------------
Information is power only when it's shared.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:00am

Not sure for vivien's process.

If you are following my process you need to create 3 formula fields in the main report to conver the params into useable data fields.
Assuming for  your dates you are uing one param with a range...
Formula1 named 'BeginDate' as
Minimum({?Date_Param})
Formula2 named 'EndDate' as
Maximum({?Date_Param})
Formula3 named 'Company' as
{?Company_Param}
 
Now for subreport 1 right click on it and select Change subreport links
select all 3 formula fields you just created in the main report in the 'Fields to link to'
Selct OK.
Open the subreport. You should now have 3 params
{?pm-BeginDate}
{?pm-EndDate}
{?pm-Company}
Go into the select expert and fix your formula using these 3
{table.date field} in {?pm-BeginDate} to {?pm-EndDate}
and {table.company}={?pm-Company}
 
repeat the link process for each subreport


Edited by DBlank - 08 Apr 2010 at 4:01am
IP IP Logged
bigbloo
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote bigbloo Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:27pm
thank you both for helping. My report has 20 subreports, 10 sets of financial statments and 10 crosstabs. They're all properly linked.
your help is much appreciated.
Bigbloo
--------------------------------------------------
Information is power only when it's shared.
IP IP Logged
djaynaz
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Location: Malaysia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote djaynaz Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2010 at 5:20pm
hi guys, i am currently creating a mainreport and two subreports. I am unable to link (Drilldown) the mainreport to the subreports. How do i get it down?
Could someone please help and advise on this...
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum