Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: surpressing lines from report. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
Tomsss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Quote Tomsss Replybullet Topic: surpressing lines from report.
     Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:58am

I have a Customer who prints out a transaction card this lists the history for that customer. Since they have been running the system for 10 years the history can be extensive.

They only wish to print actual history for a period of time but need to include totals of any amounts owing before that time.

So for example say show me history after Jan 1st, 2007 and as of Dec 31st they owed $200.00 that must be included in the total. They are using a running total to keep track of this amount that resets when it goes on to the next customer. I have tried selection expert with no luck as well as suppressing the section if the Document date is before the Parameter date entered but in both cases the number is excluded from the running total.

 

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 10:33am
You will not be able to use the select expert. If the data is excluded it cannot be counted.
A conditional suppression should NOT exclude the count from a Running Total.
Are you using a Crystal Running Total or a variable formula that you called a running total?
IP IP Logged
Tomsss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Quote Tomsss Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 11:49am
They created the report with crytsal report running total. I was surprised it did not include the surpressed total.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 2:02pm
I would look at the RT to see if there is some sort of evaluate formula that might impact the count.
I would address this in 2 design in 1 of 2 ways.
Either do the conditional suppress on the details and recreate your own RT to make it work as expected.
Or
Create a formula field to group the data pre-date and post-date...
If table.date<Date(2007,01,01) then 'Pre date row' else 'Post date row', then group on this formula field atG2 (under the customer group of G1) and conditionally suppress the G2 header and details for it being in the 'pre-date' group.
This will also need to use a RT to SUM the value. You can have it set to Reset on Group1. You can place it once on the GF2 and details row. It will then show the predate SUM on teh GF2 and 'roll' into the details for post date rows (not suppressed) finallint onto the GF2 of the post date group2 for the final SUM of that Customer.
Hoep this makes some sense.
IP IP Logged
Tomsss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Quote Tomsss Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:50am

Just wondering if Running totals are different if they are totaling a calculated field? I tied just creating a simple running total with suppression and it worked fine.

When I looked at the report I inherited they have a calculated field (A) and a second calculated filed (B) in the details section. They then have a third calculated field(C) in the details section which is A-B.  The running total is in the details section and is a running total of C. When I suppress the section the running total does not work as I wish it. I am thinking that when I suppress the details section it is not running the calculations and therefore cannot display? Does that make sense and if yes how could I get around it?

 

As always any help would be appreciated.

 

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:36am
I am not sure on that.
If they used whileprintingrecords it should have not allowed the formula fields to be used in the RT at all.
What are the 3 formulas?
IP IP Logged
Tomsss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Quote Tomsss Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:50am
They did not use while orinting records. It is just a calculation that multiple a filed by minus 1 if the invoice typs is credit or return. I am wondering if I create another grouping which would be invoice number and then hide the details section completly.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 10:15am

If the calcualtion needs to occur for 2 fields on every row I would combine all 3 formulas into 1 but I have a feeling that is not the case. Rather you likely have one starting amount in one field and then each row needs to either be added or subtracted to that amount based on the invoice type.

Correct?
IP IP Logged
Tomsss
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Quote Tomsss Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:24pm
The running total has to continue the balance from the previous line. So to simplify if a Custoemr owes us 300.00 and they buy 200.00 more without paying for the first invoice  the running total will be 500.00

Edited by Tomsss - 09 Mar 2010 at 12:25pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:13pm
Understood but where does the starting balance come from?
Is say a Field A?
Then you add Field B as a potitive or negative value based on the invoice type?
Or is your starting balance Field A and you also then add or subtract the next rows A?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum