Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Combined text and numeric in numeric field Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
awear01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote awear01 Replybullet Topic: Combined text and numeric in numeric field
     Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 3:08am
Can anyone help?

I have a numeric field and one entry has a ">" before the number.

I need to show that combined value (e.g. >123) as well as the numeric values.

Any ideas?
Andy
IP IP Logged
razzak
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 34
Quote razzak Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:06am
Convert numeric value to text and concate these two.
e.g ">"+totext(numeriv_value)
Razzak Sayyed
IP IP Logged
awear01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote awear01 Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 7:32am
thanks but the trouble is that it's not seen as a numeric by Crystal.

Andy
Andy
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 7:59am
A numeric field cannot have a ">" in it  (unless it is a very unusual database). 
IP IP Logged
awear01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote awear01 Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:06am
I agree...I've just found out it's a 'varchar' field from a MySQL database, exported to a csv file, then improrted to Excel.

Andy
Andy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:43am
I do not understand what you are trying to do with this field..are you trying to SUM it?
IP IP Logged
awear01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote awear01 Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 9:09am
Sorry I haven't explained very well.

I am making calculations on the field but I still want to show the text/numeric value verbatim (for display purposes only).

I hope that makes sense.

Andy
Andy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 9:12am

You can just use the field itself for display.

YOu would have to use a formula field to do the calcualtions.
If you explain the calculations and how you want to handle the non-numeric fields someone can assist with that formula.
IP IP Logged
awear01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote awear01 Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 9:37am
I am using the field itself for display, all numeric values listed in that field are fine but there is a gap where the text/numeric value should be.

The formula's I'm calculating against the field are fine it's literally a case of showing that text/numeric value.

It sounds simple but all I need to do is show it.

e.g.

Name_Field               Result_Field

Andy                              1.23
Dave                              2.55
John                                            <------ The gap should read   >4.56
Keith                              3.55

Andy

Andy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 10:48am

Sorry, still confused.

In the DB for the row with 'John' the Resuklt_Field already has the value ">4.56" in it but it does not appear in the report or this is some type of formulatic calculation that you want to insert it?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum