Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Select from Database using SQL Query Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Author Message
FrnhtGLI
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 347
Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:11pm

Having trouble understanding the whole SP thing. So the parameters must be stated in the code when creating the SP? Then when Crystal runs from the SP it promps for input for those parameters?

 
Can a SP not just be setup using the code above or something similar but with the Create Procedure sp_GetAgentGroups AS and then hit it with the Crystal Parameters?
 
Sorry, a little confusing to me. I come from a Journalism background and while I've been working with Crystal for a year now, I have mainly been doing XML based reports. These SQL ones are a bit different.
 
Thanks.
 
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:36pm
No worries.
Yes you can do as you say and hit it with a crystal param.
I just wanted to make sure you knew you had to pull all data first (via a command, view or SP) which populates all of your crystal cascading param options, and then apply the selection of the params in the crystal select statement.
When you can pass a SP param directly into Crystal you can get some very nice efficiency gains because you are only selecting and pulling in the data you need rather than doing a pull of all the records, then a filter then presentation (as with crystal select statement).
Since you needed cascading params this boost in efficiency (using SP params directly) is not an option for this report.
Sorry for any confusion.
IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 347
Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:45pm

Okay. Then I guess I have to choose between performance and functionality. There are only going to be two or three people running the report so I will sacrifice the functionality and make them choose from the fully populated list of Groups so I can keep the performance.

 
Thanks for all the help.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum