Yes, the source data format is:
English | French<cr>
English | French<cr>
.
.
.
English | French<cr>
English | French<cr(?)>
There is a random number of English/French pairs, the last one possibly ending in a carriage return.
As for writing the code in Crystal, all of this data is stored in a memo field and the version of CR I have access to is 8.5, so I can't call this field directly. It's why I've been spinning my wheels with SQL for the past few days, trying to extract it into a format I can manipulate on the report. I had initially used CAST() in an SQL expression to grab it, but the data was being truncated and I was losing half of it.
The data in the memo field will nearly always exceed 255 characters, so I've been trying to get SQL to pull it out in logical chunks, namely one English/French pairing at a time. The tricky part has been the fact that the SQL expression editor throws syntax errors when I use the functions it supplies natively, but compiles fine when I use an alternative function.
For instance, LENGHT() is supplied by the editor and turns blue when typed in so I know it's being recognized, however, it causes a syntax error. The same line of code using LEN() works perfectly, but the function doesn't light up in blue in the editor, so it appears to not be recognized. For a novice coder trying to learn the basics of the language, it's enough to induce fits.
Anyway, is there a way that I don't know about to access the data in that memo field from within CR, or is SQL still really the only way?