Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Linked Excel File won't Recalc Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
illinimac
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote illinimac Replybullet Topic: Linked Excel File won't Recalc
     Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:53pm
I apologize if this is covered somewhere but the search function wasn't working.
 
I've been using Crystal for the past 5-6 years to create bar code labels for our company, which require serial numbers and I'm self-taught on the product.
 
I link an Excel file in my report and so I created a formula using the date value in Excel to create my serial number for the Crystal Report label.

The Excel formula updates fine each time I access the Excel file.  However, the Crystal Report only shows the value for the formula as of the last time the Crystal Report file itself was updated and saved.

How can I get the Excel file to recalculate each time the Crystal Report file is run?
 
In Excel, my automatic Recalc is on.  Is there some function in Crystal Reports that will cause it to recalc when the record is accessed? 

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 2:25pm
In your Report Option do you have the "Save Data with Report" option checked? If so, I believe when you open the crystal report it will open with the last saved data (last time report was run) showing you "old" data. You can either refresh the report data in report preview mode (F5) or uncheck the save data option and it will have to fetch data each time it is opened and previewed.
IP IP Logged
illinimac
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote illinimac Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 2:39pm
It was checked.  I unchecked it but it is still not updating the calculated serial number from the Excel file.
 
Thanks for the suggestion.
 
One other thing to add.  The file is accessed through a 3rd party ERP software.  So, the users are just accessing the file and getting the parameters prompted.
 
So, I would need the report to recalculate upon opening and running the Crystal Reports file.
 
Thanks again.  I hope this can be done.
IP IP Logged
davejwhite
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 34
Quote davejwhite Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 2:27am
Hi there,
 
This is a common misconception, which rears its head in various ways. Crystal Reports was not designed to offer the ability to create user interface. Yes, there are utilities within which affect or determine user input, but they are all related to the task of producing (printing) the report. Thus Crystal cannot 'drive' the data source to which a report is linked. You will have to build that interface, usually either  through a web form or a windows form, in something like Visual Studio.
 
If you think about it, what you are asking is that
1. When you run the Crystal Report
2. before the report imports the data
3. It opens Excel to update the values
4. Then connects to the data
5. Then builds the report
 
It just isn't designed for that.

Sorry!
IP IP Logged
illinimac
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote illinimac Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 6:43am
OK.  Thanks.
IP IP Logged
gonzo
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 26 May 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote gonzo Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:18pm
Thanks for this info guys. Been having similar problems as yourself. Was so close to giving up doing it, but at least I now know it aint just me having the same problem!

Thanks again
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum