Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Newbie needs to know if crystal will do this..? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
whitespaces
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote whitespaces Replybullet Topic: Newbie needs to know if crystal will do this..?
     Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:14am
Hello people - many thanks for any help you can offer with this,
 
I've never used Crystal before and I'm just wanting to know if it can do the following before I invest some time in it:
 
We need to produce a variety of individual reports for 700+ schools, we currently store the data in Access and at the moment we use Excel to design report templates and then use VBA to cycle through data updating it to a school (via ODBC/ADO) before producing a pdf and then going back round and selecting the next school in the list etc. and thus the end result is 700+ pdf documents that are then distributed to schools.
 
This all works fine to be honest and we can run all the reports overnight, the only thing is we continuously get asked for additions/amendments/new reports and it is very time consuming changing the templates and adding in new charts etc. We need an easy way to amend and adapt the reports - sometimes ad hoc (although generally they are preprepared)
 
My question therefore is: Does crystal reports allow an easy way to link to Access and automatically produce multiple individual pdf reports for each school based on tables of school data? Second, is it easy to rearrange report pages and add/amend charts/tables etc. and to maybe have new pages based on school type (i.e. only show certain report pages for secondary, some for primary schools and some for both)?
 
If it's any use I have a lot of experience programming in VB and I know bits of java & .net but I'm hoping crystal allows an easy way of setting up report templates and amending reports/adding new charts/data/tables etc.
 
Many thanks for any help
 
Stewart
IP IP Logged
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2010 at 12:26pm
Crystal will easily allow you to do your reporting from Access. From what you are describing you will create a report with the school data, and then you can group by each individual school to get your final report. If you are looking to constantly change the way the actual report output looks that will take some time, but the best way is to build a report for each output type and then just re-use them. You can also set what are called parameter fields so if you want to run the report and only get one school at a time you can do that as well where you just enter the school(s) you want on the report.
IP IP Logged
whitespaces
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote whitespaces Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2010 at 1:29am
Thanks flanman.
 
I'm going to post a new topic because I want to attach some example reports that we produce and just confirm that crystal will easily allow us to produce them (It doesn't appear to let me here - it might not on a new topic but we'll see!)
 
Many thanks for your advice.
IP IP Logged
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 7:14am
No problem. I was recently hired by a company to convert several excel/access reports and queries into crystal reports. I had limited experience with CR, but have found it to be very easy to learn and extremely flexible. This forum has also been invaluable when I have run into a challenge here and there.
IP IP Logged
whitespaces
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote whitespaces Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 7:24am
Cheers flanman, can I ask then what were the reasons for the company wanting to move to crystal from Access/Excel - what advantages has it brought?
 
Many thanks
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum