Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Help using Stored procedures for the first time Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Topic: Help using Stored procedures for the first time
     Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 2:32pm
I have a report that I need to include a Stored Procedure from a MS SQL database. The SQL I was giving to review is the following:

SELECT     driveid, shiftid, ProjectedDaSHRate, ActualDaSHRate,
                          (SELECT     dbo.DAL_DaSH_DriveProjected(dbo.DriveShiftDaSHRates.driveid) AS Expr1) AS Dash
FROM         dbo.DriveShiftDaSHRates

The line 
 (SELECT     dbo.DAL_DaSH_DriveProjected(dbo.DriveShiftDaSHRates.driveid) AS Expr1) AS Dash

is the line referencing the stored procedure and work fine in a SQL viewer.

When I am in CR DB expert and try to add the Dal_Dash_DriveProjected Stored procedure I get a prompt screen titled "Enter Values" with @DriveID in both corrners. there is a white text box and then a check box next to "Set to Null" then the OK and Cancel button.  No matter what I put in the text box. I keep getting an error message:
The Parameter is of type "Number" .....
What am I supposed to put in the box. to work in CR.

Once again... I am  thankful for all help.

Flanman

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 2:54pm
Sounds like the SP has a paramter set into it. If a SP has a parameter it will create a a paramter in the crystal report and ask the user to enter it (the same as a crystal param). The difference is the param from a SP runs at the source of the SP and not after the data is pulled like a crystal param.
You have to enter some number value that the SP is expecting.
IP IP Logged
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:19pm
I know the number it is looking for is from the driveid field. As I have it working in a sql statement posted above where the driveID is passed on as the paramert, how can I maybe do this with Crystal reports? If it is possible at all.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:39am
I am not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "how can I maybe do this with Crystal reports"?
One of the great things about using SPs as a data source is that you can create a param in it and that param is also created in crystal when the source is added to the report. This allows you a lot more flexibility in data selection at run time.
 


Edited by DBlank - 30 Dec 2009 at 6:39am
IP IP Logged
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:17am
I guess what I am saying is the parameter is being passed on automatically in the sql statement, so how or can I do the same thing in crystal. Or is it possible to use SQL expression fields to include this stored procedures?

Bill
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:22am
You mean because once you add the the SP it is asking for the param?
Just put in a dummy (but acceptable) value which it needs while you build the report. Once you refresh the data or rnu it in the viewer it will ask for the param again just like if it was a crystal param.
Is that what you are asking for?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:30am
As I reread your original post, I guess you are wanting to know what "dummy" value is acceptable since nothing you are entering is working, correct? You will have to get into the SP and decipher it to determine that.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum