Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Field Value Variables Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rosshughes
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote rosshughes Replybullet Topic: Field Value Variables
     Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 9:55am
Hi,
 
Is there a way to create dynamic field-value variables in Crystal?
 
I am trying to create an on-hand balance inventory column but I need it to be capable of managing different group sorting structures.
 
I can get it to work if the report is sorted by part number/due date.  If the report is sorted by due date/part number the predictable group flow is affected.
 
I also need to have it manage whatever parts are thrown at the report.  This will be many variables and different each time.
 
I was thinking that if I could create a variable based on each required part number and then check for the existence of this variable I would have this solved.
 
Is this possible?
 
Thanks,
Ross
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:08am
anything is possible, but is maintainable? can enough information be gathered/maintained in a state that is usable and accessable? is it flexible enough to handle the 'new' requirement that someone wants to add?
 
with that said, it sounds like you want to create a formula, since this would be a dynamic field.  The biggest question is how are you getting the data?  Are you joining to the tables or using a stored proc/view?  Here a stored proc/view is the most versatile as you can 'create' more data to assist your formulas.
 
 
 
IP IP Logged
rosshughes
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote rosshughes Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:02am
Thanks for the reply.
 
The whole point is that something is self-maintaining.  Using dynamic variables would allow the circumstance to be different each time and and the variables declarations to meet the needs of the part numbers that need to be totaled.
 
I should have said more about the tools I was using.  If I could have used a stored procedure or programming I would have just completed the task there.  I am using ADO.NET and the XML file that is generated is not editable without the software development kit (which we don't own).  So, I am left attempting it in Crystal.
 
I have thought about dynamic variables but it doesn't look like Crystal will do that.  I also considered two-dimensional arrays but Crystal only supports single.  Crystal also has a 1000 value limitation on arrays.
 
For now I will have to leave it fixed group report by Part Number/Due Date.  This way it works very well but the report has limited value for people who want tons of parts ordered by due date.
 
Thanks,
Ross
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:17am

sounds like you understand the limitations of crystal. 

Sorry couldn't be of more help.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum