Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Field Expanding in Viewer Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JamesO
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote JamesO Replybullet Topic: Field Expanding in Viewer
     Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 2:09pm
So I made a few reports which have some very long fields which I clip as you only have to see the first 10 characters for the needed info. 
 
When viewed and printed through the designer, they work just fine.  However when they are published to users through Crystal Server the fields which were clipped expand to the width size of the data contained and therefore overlap neighboring fields.
 
I have not set the fields to grow.  Should I make the fields formula fields and have them only display the first 10 characters? Or is there a better way. Thanks for any insight that you can offer =)
 
James ODonnell
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 6:20am
The formula method sounds like a viable option. Then regardless of where the report is run, the field is only 10 characters long.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 7:14am
James,
I would concur with Lockwelle.
I recently had the same experience and was a bit bothered by it. I had not noticed it before bit cannot say it was not happening.
It seems that there should be a setting for this somewhere but I have yet to find it. If you do come across please post.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 12:05pm
There IS a registry setting for it that needs to be set on the server, but I've changed jobs since I got that information from BusinessObjects support and I've managed to misplace it.  I'll try to track it down for you.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 12:07pm
Thanks Dell Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
JamesO
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote JamesO Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 6:54am
Thanks for the replys =) I ended up just making it a formula field and it worked well enough.  Hopefully Dell can shed more light on the cause and a more legitimate fix =)
 
Thanks dell Smile
IP IP Logged
JamesO
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote JamesO Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 8:35am
Ok after a bit more searching around I found a very easy solution as long as its a text field. 
 
Right click the field, click format field, go to the paragraph tab and in the text interpretation pull down choose the RTF Text option.
 
For whatever reason your fields will now clip correctly.  If for some reason you have a field that isn't formated as a text field but is clipping incorrectly you can use:
 
ToText({table.field})
 
Credit to tsttntice on the asp.net forums for answering the question for someone else =)
 
James O
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum