Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Using data from a file as filter Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
magjal
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Location: Sweden
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote magjal Replybullet Topic: Using data from a file as filter
     Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 5:03am
Hi everybody,

using Crystal Reports X I am wondering if the following is possible and how to do it:

I have a file containing multiple patient-id´s, now I want to use those ID´s as a filter in my report (so I dont have to input them manually, since there are a great number of ID´s).
I need the choise of filtering so that only data with the same ID´s as those in my textfile are returned in the report.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:18am
If you kept it as a spreadsheet or in a row based DB and make the field the same type as your DB (likely numeric) rather than a text field with all the items in it, it should be easy to just use that as a source and link it to the ID's in your DB. Assuming you use an inner join it would filter the data as you desire.

Edited by DBlank - 17 Dec 2009 at 7:19am
IP IP Logged
magjal
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Location: Sweden
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote magjal Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 6:56am
Ok, and thanks for the reply. But I´m somewhat new in using crystal as well as in more advanced SQL.

To be more specific, this is similar to the function I am looking for:

SELECT c1, c2, c3
FROM table1
WHERE table1.c1 = file.c1

Here the file is the xls file containing my list of patientnames that I want to extract from my database.
The actual SQL command if done manually would look something like this:

SELECT c1, c2, c3
FROM table1
WHERE table1.c1 = value1 or value2 or value3...

But how to do this in crystal in an easier way? I managed after your reply to add my xls file as input source, but I have no clue to how to use all the data it contains for filtering (since I need to filter out data for all the entries in the file at once).
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum