Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: CR2008 Parameter Panel Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
hermiod
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote hermiod Replybullet Topic: CR2008 Parameter Panel
     Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 3:55pm
HI all

I am considering upgrading to CR 2008, and am mostly interested in the new parameter panel feature.
However, I have scoured the web and can't find any information over how it works. I need to know this so I can determine if it will suit my needs.

Does it just hook in to a standard parameter and allow you to 'filter' by the contents of the field that parameter is linked to?

ie, if I had a parameter called 'City' linked to a field called 'CityName' which contained the values 'London', 'New York', and 'Paris', would it provide a list of these values which you could select in order to just show records for that city?

If anyone has links to any pages or tutorial videos relating to this or the new 'Report Bursting' feature in CR Server 2008, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently finding it hard to justify the upgrade considering the price we have been quoted, which is in excess of £18,000!
IP IP Logged
netcigos
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Location: Argentina
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote netcigos Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 5:58am
Yeah!! There are a lot way to use parameters field yet.
I use the follow parameters for a format formule.

 reporte_detalle_rendicion_mensual reporte=new reporte_detalle_rendicion_mensual();


            ParameterFields parameterFields=new ParameterFields();
            ParameterField parameterField=new ParameterField();
            ParameterDiscreteValue discreteValue= new ParameterDiscreteValue();

            discreteValue.Value = this.mes_rendicion;
            parameterField.Name = "mes_rendicion";
            parameterField.CurrentValues.Add(discreteValue);
            parameterFields.Add(parameterField);

            crystalReportViewer1.ParameterFieldInfo = parameterFields;

            reporte.SetDataSource(ds);
            crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = reporte;

I love to EntitySpaces ORM
IP IP Logged
hermiod
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote hermiod Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 6:54am
Thanks for the reply netcigos

I am using Crystal with its designer and Crystal Reports Server rather than from within Visual Studio so I can't use the parameters in this manner.

If I have interpreted your code correctly, the parameter fields will use a field that is part of the query itself.

So for instance, if I had a field that contained a month name (January, February, etc), then I could create a parameter against this field, which would enable the user to filter by the various values in this field at runtime.

How quickly does the sorting work when dealing with a relatively large report. For instance, the main reports where I think this will be useful for me, tend to grow up to 1.2 million rows by the end of year. Will it sort through these fairly quickly or is the user going to be growing old waiting for it to do its work?

Regards

Hermiod

Originally posted by netcigos

Yeah!! There are a lot way to use parameters field yet. I use the follow parameters for a format formule. reporte_detalle_rendicion_mensual reporte=new reporte_detalle_rendicion_mensual();            ParameterFields parameterFields=new ParameterFields();            ParameterField parameterField=new ParameterField();            ParameterDiscreteValue discreteValue= new ParameterDiscreteValue();            discreteValue.Value = this.mes_rendicion;            parameterField.Name = "mes_rendicion";            parameterField.CurrentValues.Add(discreteValue);            parameterFields.Add(parameterField);            crystalReportViewer1.ParameterFieldInfo = parameterFields;            reporte.SetDataSource(ds);            crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = reporte;
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum