Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Topic: Speed of reporting Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 6:55am
I have an web application written in vs2008 which allows users to select certain criteria and then print a report. To do this I build a dataset and then pass this to a crystal report. Recently due to the increase in number of records in the database this report has become extremly slow to produce. Does anyone have experience of using sql stored procedures or sql views as opposed to building a dataset and the effect on the speed of production of a report
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 6:59am
I guess it depends on how you build your dataset...I build mine from a stored proc, so there is no particular difference. If you are building your dataset by having an application query the database repeatedly for bits of information that you finally send to the report, a stored proc should be faster as there is only 1 connection to the database, and basically 1 record/dataset, but I am not a guru.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum