Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Exporting to Excel Formatted Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
yggdrasil
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Quote yggdrasil Replybullet Topic: Exporting to Excel Formatted
     Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:16am
Hi, I have been banging my head on the desk over this!
I have a report designed using tables with quite a lot of selection and suppression and parameters, as the users want it to do many different things. It exports to Excel formatted fairly well, some of the columns are merged but it is usable.
A new requirement has meant I have to rewrite the report using a Command. Eventually I will have to add some stuff it, but right now I am trying to get it to replicate the original.  It uses the same fields and formulae, but as Command.field rather than PEOPLE.field for example.
And now the export is working quite differently. Some of the columns are  becoming very large, and the merging is different.  The worst thing is that a field which is suppressed in one 'version', which used to export as a blank, now is ignored, so the other fields to the right of it have moved into the wrong columns. I have compared the two, I have lined up the fields in both, I cannot see what is different that would make this change, except for using the Command, and I do not see why that would be so..
Has anyone any idea what else I could try?  Unhappy
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:13am
unfortunately, it seems that CR export to Excel routine is, shall we say, buggy.  It makes no sense to me why some fields span columns and other don't, and it is the same field (and CR know it). 
 
The only thing that seemed to 'work' for me was to make the cell size fixed and kind of small, the user got a million cells, but the data lined up consistently.
 
I don't know why using a command would be different than a table, but I am leery of using the Command as datasource for a report, namely because I don't think it was designed to function in that way.  Instead, if possible, I would use a stored proc/view.  CR has been using them as datasources forever and I would think, would more closely mimic the direct joins you were using before.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum