Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Formatting - Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Tanya
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Tanya Replybullet Topic: Formatting -
     Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 2:51am
I am a newbie and I have designed a report in CR2008 and my datasource for the report is an XSD file. There are 2 tables Table A and B.

Table A is as follows:

AID     Name     Reference     Period          Manager
5       Name 1     Ref 1          July 2009     User Name 1
8     Name 2     Ref 2          August 2009     User Name 2
9     Name 3     Ref 3          March 2009     User Name 9
45     Name 4     Ref 4          May 2008     User Name 4
88     Name 5     Ref 5          June 2009     User Name 1


There are other coloumns too in the datatable, but that shouldnt matter.

Table B is as follows:

ID     A_ID     DateKey        DateValue                         Name
1      5          Date1        2009-09-29 00:00:00.000        Start Date
2      5          Date2        2009-08-11 00:00:00.000        Fieldwork Complete
3      5          Date3        2009-08-14 00:00:00.000        Report Issued
4      5          Date4        2009-07-17 00:00:00.000        Report Finalised
5      5          Date5        2009-07-10 00:00:00.000        Close Date
6      8          Date1        2009-08-11 00:00:00.000        Start Date
7      8          Date4        2009-09-29 00:00:00.000        Report Finalised


My report is a joining of the 2 tables as follows:

ID   Name   Reference    Period     Manager      Start Date   Fieldwork    ReportIssued     ClosedDate

I have written a formula, which matches the AID and the DateKey and then displays the date value. So for each date I want, I have written a different formula (I am not sure if this is the effective way to do this.) When I run the report each of the date is appearing in a different line (they appear correctly under the respective heading.) So I have the ID, Name, Ref, Period, Manager and Start Date on on line and then the other dates, each one on separate lines.

How do I get the dates to appear in the same line.

I really would like your input on this.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 6:27am

not really knowing the layout of the report, the simple answer is to move the info out of one line and into the other, since the information is correct.

If this gives you blank spaces, suppress the blank line/line that had the info in it originally.
 
Is this what you are looking for?
IP IP Logged
Tanya
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Tanya Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 6:47am
Hi

In my design, I have placed each of the field next to each other in the details section. The corresponding date formulae is also placed in the same line.

I have suppressed blank rows.

But when I try to run the report, each of date appear in a separate line. So instead of getting all the information relating to A_ID in one row, I am getting 5 rows. I do not understand why each of the date would come in a separate line instead of next to each other.

This is the formula I wrote for one date.

If {Table2.AuditID} = {Table1.ID} AND {Table2.DateKey} = "Date1" Then formula = Cdate({Table2.DateValue})


Hope this has made sense.

Thank you for your reply...

Tanya
            
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 7:00am
That's odd, if the all the info is in the details, and the formula is on the same detail line, then it should all display together.  So you have 5 rows of details, one for each datekey? Or you have 1 row and 5 formulas displayed on it?
 
Just wondering
IP IP Logged
Tanya
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Tanya Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 7:48am

The report comes out like this (This is only for one row of TABLE 1):

ID NAME    REF    PERIOD           MANAGER    DATE 1     DATE2     DATE 3    DATE 4
5   Name1   Ref1   February 2008 UserName1 14/02/2008
                                                                                15/02/2008
                                                                                                19/02/2008     
                                                                                                                20/02/2008



I have one row for Table1 and then each of the date appearing in a separate line.

I am really struggling to find where there could be a problem. I tried changing the type of join (in the Links section of DataBase Expert), but it still doesn't make a difference.

Is there a difference in how crystal behaves when using XSD files as the data source?


Thanks...
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 9:40am
no, XSD isn't the issue, I use it all the time, it is just a datasource.
 
on the left of the report is there just one d or are there 5 d's.  It looks like the issue might be that the fields are overlapping, though I can't think of a way to make this happen, but sometimes CR surprises me. That date 1 works correctly is encoraging.
 
again without seeing the report, I would try to arrange the dates so that they don't overlap, and see if that fixes anything.
 
IP IP Logged
Tanya
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Tanya Replybullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 6:31am
I have tried, to move the fields apart, but the dates still appear in different line.

The formula that I wrote, is as follows:

If {TableB.A_ID} = {TableA.ID} AND {TableB.DateKey} = "Date1" Then formula = Cdate({TableB.DateValue})

Even if my XML file has only one row in Table A, the dates still seem to appear in separate lines.

Is there something wrong with the formula I have written? because, if I take out all the date formulae, the data appears fine.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum