Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Report Viewer Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Miker
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Miker Replybullet Topic: Report Viewer
     Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 1:14pm
I am contemplating moving up from ancient CR version 8.5 to 2008. For the reports that I create that are not in our corporate ERP software (which does not use CR as the report engine) I want our users to be able to enter in their own search or selection criteria to get whatever results they want from the report(s). As I understand it, this is NOT POSSIBLE with the free viewer from SAP/Business Objects. You can only see updated results based on the criteria that I (report creator) put into the report or that I change for the user. Is there any free (or otherwise) viewer available that will allow user entry of criteria?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 2:11pm
There are a number of viewers available.  I'm surprised that the viewer from SAP/BO doesn't allow you to enter parameters.  I would try that first - if you get a parameter page when you run a report that has params, then it might work for you.
 
You can find some other third-party viewers here:  www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html
 
Or you can write your own - there are viewer components available for both .NET (comes with Visual Studio) and Java.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Miker
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Miker Replybullet Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 2:18pm
Thanks, I will check the third party information. I am not skilled to be able to write my own viewer that our users can use. I was also surprised about the SAP viewer, but a SAP tech person specifically told me that users could not enter their own criteria, so I will go with that unless someone tells me otherwise.  
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 6:58am

FYI, SAP tech support stinks!  From experience, I would not necessarily take what they say as reflecting what is really going on.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum