Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Running total - print time formula Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Cindy
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Cindy Replybullet Topic: Running total - print time formula
     Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 10:01am

Greetings,

I'm receiving the following error while creating a running total (RT) "A running total cannot refer to a print time fomula #countmet".  #countmet is a RT that I have calculated of cases that have met a specific criteria.
 
What I am trying to do is subtract the N/A s from the total.  So I have a RT
#countmet and #countnotmet. (excluded the N/A's) and I am summarizing on the CaseNumber(count).
 
What am I doing wrong as this should be simple?
 
Thanks in advance!
 
 
 
Cindy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 10:45am
Sounds like your CountNotMet RT is referencing the CountMet RT.
Why not just use an RT for your Count without subtration? Usually you can use a formula in the evaluate portion to get the correct record count.
IP IP Logged
Cindy
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Cindy Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 11:14am
I can't get anything to work!  I wish I didn't have a dealine and could look at it fresh.
Each case has 18 elements and I have to determine for each element whether it has met or Not Met (along w/togged sub elements:T/F)  The users can toggle Met, Not met or N/A.  Management wants me to exclude the N/A, so I just count met and Not met cases.
I have 3 RT for each element with the dbf value of 0=met,1=NM,2=NA.
E.G Count if element111=1 (RT name:#M111)
Then I have a running total (RT name #countmet) of all  elements that have met:#M111+#M121+#m131,etc.
I did the same for not met , (probaly did this the long way!)
Why do I receive an error if I try to get a running total with #countmet+#countnm?  It doesn't like the #M111 included in the #countmet.  I tired a RT adding all (M11_M121+M131+nm111+m121+nm131) and receive the same error.
Is it because the running total is still caculating the first number and I can't use it in a running total?
Are you confused by now?  I feel like I am asking the same question over and over and just don't get it :-0
Cindy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 11:33am

You cannot use a RT within another RT.

It is a bit redundant of a use of an RT.
Change the process to using a RT that counts records based on your conditions that define Met (all of your individual #Mxxx RTs).
Example:
RT Met
Field to summarize=likely the Primary Key feld
Type of SUmmary = Likely a Count
Evaluate= Use a formula...do all your conditions here with Or's like
"table.element111=1  or table.element121=1 or ...)
Reset as NEVER.
 
Do the same thing for NotMet but use the formulas that has conditions for "not met".
make sense?
IP IP Logged
Cindy
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Cindy Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 12:15pm

Makes sense and I have the RT's in place.  But I can't use the RTMet-RTNM to equal # of records because you said I can't use a running total with another running total.

I guess instead of two running totals, I can make one to include data w/ criteria for both met and not met using the or between criteria's.  Correct?
 
It' just been one of those dayas:-), the running total numbers don't add up. 
Thank you very much for your patience and assistance!!!!
Cindy
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 12:44pm
You can use 2 RTS in a formula (just not a formula inside a RT).
Remember that RTs must be placed on or below the level that it is counting (no headers) and the same applies to any formula that uses an RT (cannot be used on headers).
If you still need help let me know on exaclty which part.


Edited by DBlank - 02 Oct 2009 at 1:06pm
IP IP Logged
Cindy
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Cindy Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 1:04pm

TongueTHANK YOU!  It works and I have learned much from this discussion.

Have a great weekend!!
Cindy
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum