Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Can you use two datasources in one report? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rkorb
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote rkorb Replybullet Topic: Can you use two datasources in one report?
     Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 11:03am

Is it possible to have a report attached to two SQL databases that do NOT sit on the same physical server?  They could even be in different parts of the US.  I'm guessing the answer will be no because the report would time out trying to get data from the two databases.  Any insight would be awesome.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 1:48pm
well, crystal isn't that smart, a datasource is a datasource.  Is it a smart idea to design a report like that?  I think you already answered it.
 
I believe that you can have multiple datasources, but it doesn't sound like the wisest of situations.  I would prefer to have a stored proc that handles the data gathering from different datasources and return a single dataset.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
rkorb
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote rkorb Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 1:58pm
I figured that was the case.  We will have to look into the stored procedure (or maybe a view?) to collect the data in one place.  Trust me, I never would have designed it this wayConfused.  Thanks for the information!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 7:54am
view would work, it is just having the DB get the info and pass it to the CR.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum