Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Group Headings Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Topic: Group Headings
     Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 2:54pm

Hello everyone!

First post here.  I've been using Crystal Reports for a few years now although in a very limited capacity.

I'm trying to create a report that shows all of the computers in our building for budgetting purposes.  I have the report done but my boss wants to simply see a section for laptops and a section for desktops.  I have the two groups and used select expert to get all that going.  My problem is that the section is broken into five or so subsections; one subsection for each individual type of computer.  Is there anyway to consolidate all of them into one heading that says "Laptops" (BTW, I've used the formula function to make it say "Laptop", I just have five group headings that all say "Laptop")?

 

Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 3:43pm

Try this... Does your formula that translates the subgroup to "Laptop" also translate to "Desktop"?  If so, just group on this formula instead of the group and subgroup that you're using.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 6:08pm
It will......yes.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to group with a formula. But, I'm sure one of my three books on this program will have an example.

Thanks!
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 6:30am
Ok.......I'm lost with the "group with a formula" theory.
 
Someone please help!  Confused
 
I tried multiple IF...THEN statements, but that got me all loopy (no pun intended).
 
Then, I moved on to a Select Case Statement.
 
That looked like this:
 
SELECT {ComputerAssignments.Description}
    Case "IBM T60" : "Laptops"
    Case "IBM T61" : "Laptops"
    Case "Toshiba Tecra M9" : "Laptops"
etc. for another five models of laptops
Default : {ComputerAssignments.Description}
 
Can I use this?  Can I use this for the desktops too, just extend the cases?
 
If I use this, where do I put it in the formula to make it work?
 
Thanks for any help!!!
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 6:55am
Never mind..........I just got it to work.
 
Typing my problem out (aka venting) triggered something in my head.
 
So, here's my new issue (lol.....never stops).
 
I created a group and placed the formula in there.  That works fine.  However, now I have the dillemma of differentiating between laptops and desktops.
 
If I simply extend the Select case statement, it does nothing more than relabel the group.
 
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 7:00am
SmileLOL
Nevermind, figured that out too!
 
I think (hopefully) that is it for this report.  Thanks for the suggestion to group by formula!
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 2:08pm
Ok..........well, the report has changed.  Of course the end-user saw it and decided they wanted much more data in it.  I've got most of it figured out but I'm trying to use cross tabs for the first time.  So, here's the deal.
 
All of our computers have lease costs associated with them on a monthly basis.  What I've done is developed a formula that summarizes them at the end of a group and then at the end of another group (the cost center), I've simply taken the previous summary and multiplied by 12 for the year.
 
However, our financial team at work does not need 17 pages of reports with a summary on each page.  They would simply like one table with the cost center on a row and the associated yearly cost of leasing the equipment.  So, I got the cross tab table to do exactly that but for some reason, it is doing some funky math and multiplying the cost center number by the total amount.  So something that is should be $36,000 is coming out as $4,000,000.
 
Is there a way to simply make a table to repeat the information throughout the report?  I didn't find a feature to make a table, only cross tabs and that seems to want to do a lot of math rather than simply replicate.  I'm trying to avoid using Excel to make these tables as I would like this report to be a double-click thing and there's the report with everything everyone needs.
 
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Jason_Hudson
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Jason_Hudson Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 5:21am
Bump
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum