Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Chart (pie) legend only display one third of the i Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
johnwsun
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Quote johnwsun Replybullet Topic: Chart (pie) legend only display one third of the i
     Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 5:45pm
Hi All,

I have a Crosstab report where the rows shows collection name, the column shows count and the cost
e.g

Col name         count   total cost


ABC collection  12        $500.00
Adult fiction      20        $700.00

etc. there are as many as 100 collection name.

Then I insert a pie chart. when the report runs, the pie chart's legend only displays about one third of all collection names, with percentage.
Is there a limitation of CR XI regarding the display of details in the legend?
could anyone advise a solution to this?
Thanks in advance.

John


Edited by johnwsun - 26 Aug 2009 at 5:46pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 7:34am
Hi John, I am only guessing here but it is probably a registry setting. As to where I do not know. However, If I get even over 20 options the legend gets to be unreadable. Are you sure that getting all the values to appear would even resolve the issue or just make another one?

Edited by DBlank - 27 Aug 2009 at 7:34am
IP IP Logged
johnwsun
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Quote johnwsun Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 6:39pm
Hi DBlank,
 
Yes, it gets unreadable when there are lots of options. I thinks it's not advisable to go that direction, although it was pointed by the customer that the report only displays a portion of values in the legend.
 
I have posted the same query to SAP crystal report forum, below is the reply:

Message: I had a similar problem - I am pulling data from a Remedy Database, and I want to show 150 plus inquiry Types and show them as percentages in Crystal, but the legend will only poulate up to 22 of the Inquiry Types - as a solution I had to create 3 pie charts showing the top 30%, mid 30% and lower 30% - turns oout that most of the tickets in Remedy were in the top 90% so I stayed with showing one pie chart with the top 90% of ticket types showing.

 

Just have to work out how to remove the 100% total at the bototm of the legend.
 
Are you able to find out the setting for this in the Registry?
thanks in advance.
 
John
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:10pm
Hey John,
Sorry but I did not find out anything more on a registry setting.
 
I think your customer really needs to get a visual on what it will look like with even 22 items. It really does get unreadable. My guess is they will be happier with a Top N or Bottom N pie chart (or both) depending on what they want to visually punch with that chart along with your Cross Tab that gives full data info.
IP IP Logged
johnwsun
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 28 May 2008
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Quote johnwsun Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:26pm
Hi Dblank,
 
thanks very much. But I cannot figure out how to specify Top N or bottom N pei chart. could you please advise?
Thanks in advance.
 
John
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:37pm
If I remember correctly ...
in order to use that the report has to have a matching group and Summary (using insert Summary) of the field you want to do top N on.
so make group 1 on "collection name"
i don't know if you are doing summary on count or cost (so I will try cost below)...
click on insert summary select cost field as SUM reset on group1
If I remember correctly in the pie chart you can now use the group option using group sort. Top N should be under there.


Edited by DBlank - 07 Sep 2009 at 7:39pm
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:53pm
FYI- If you use the "include others" it can still show you all 100% of records and how your top N records compare to that. Proabably better this way to give the correct visual effect.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum