Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Uptime Report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
siocco
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siocco Replybullet Topic: Crystal Uptime Report
     Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 10:18am
Hi folks.   I am attemtpting to write an uptime report for services that IT provides.  I have the following information available to me:
 
outage number   Service   Outage start date  Outage end date
 
I can calculate uptime and everything no problem.  My problem is when I want to graph this, say for the past 6 months, I need to group based on Outage Start Date which skews the results if a service is out for instance from August 31st 6:00pm to Sept 2nd 6:00Pm.  The full 48 hours are showing in the outage start date month. 
 
Any way to share the outage time between months in the graph?  IE the service is out for 6 hours in August and 42 hours in september?
 
I should mention the graph is grouped on Outage start date by month!
 
Thanks in advance!
 


Edited by siocco - 02 Sep 2009 at 10:20am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 1:05pm
You could have to create a process outside of crystal to create new rows per monthbegin monthend.
If you are only looking for graphing the last 6 months you could create formula fields to make unique time amounts per month on each row.
From there you can SUm each of these formula fields to get totals per month and display them on a graph
IP IP Logged
siocco
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siocco Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:08pm
Thanks for your reply.  So my only option is to handle these overlaping records by creating 2 records behind the scenes at the DB level?  I did think of that just didnt want to go there if I didnt have to!
Thanks
Steve
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 6:56am
Sorry to not be clear. that is one option but you canm avoid it with the second option.
Create 6 different formulas, one per month and do an if then datediff function in each to get the total value for the month (often will be zero), something like this for the 6 month ago formula
if month(table.startdate)>month(currentdate)-6 then 0 else
datediff("n",
if then here to get month startvalue,
if then get month endvalue
)
 
YOu can then sum each of the formula fields seperately to get the sums for the last 6  months and they can be graphed.


Edited by DBlank - 03 Sep 2009 at 6:57am
IP IP Logged
siocco
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siocco Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 9:01am
Thanks, this is looking like it should work out well.
I ran into another stump, and that is if there is an outage logged for 2 months in August and  I am reporting on the past 6 months, I cannot graph the 100% uptime for the past 5 months and then whatever (96%) for august.  Any tricks for reporting on data that isint there?  To calculate uptime I was taking 100%- downtime average on a product to product basis.
Steve
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 9:31am
So you are saying you  need an N value of total available uptime per month?
You could just do a date diff per row of each month (don't check it against any value just total days in each month) and use  MAX or MIN value on that but it gets trick to use these in formulas.
IP IP Logged
siocco
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siocco Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:08am

Well what i am saying is I have for example the following data:

Outage Start Outage End   Product
8/27/2009     8/28/2009      Microsoft
7/04/2009     7/05/2009      Adobe
 
If I run the report for the past 6 months, I cannot calculate uptime for months other then August and July since uptime is 100% minus the downtime average for the month.  since there is no downtime logged how can I get 100% to appear in the chart  or report?
Thanks


Edited by siocco - 03 Sep 2009 at 10:33am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:45am
These get tricky. I hate looking for things that are not there instead of what is there but ...
I think you can again create 6 distinct formulas that are for each month but the total available amount per month. You would be "creating" a N total value for each month for each row.
Or if you have source data that you can left join.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum