Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: CR2008 Pie charts formatting problems Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
CRuserCERT9876
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote CRuserCERT9876 Replybullet Topic: CR2008 Pie charts formatting problems
     Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 6:55am
Ok, to begin with I am by no means an expert on Crystal Reports. I was forced to learn it to design specific reports needed for work and as much as I have learned about it, I have yet to run across much information regarding the Pie Chart features that CR has to offer.
 
I have a pie chart that is created based upon the percentage of red, yellow, and green items in my report. The chart looks well and it works fine. The fundamental issue is I cannot control the number of Red, Yellow, Green items. One day may have 2 red status items, no yellow status items, and 62 green status items (note: there are 64 total items). The next day may have 1 red status item, 1  yellow status item, and 62 green status items. Or all 64 items could be reporting a green status and 0 red, and yellow status items.
 
The problem I am having (that I am posting here for someone much smarter than me to give me the simple answer that I need) is that when the data does change, the red, yellow, green color settings for the previous day no longer reflects the new data. (This is only true if I have a new color added or a color is no longer needed, i.e, all green, or goes from red and green to red, yellow, and green.)
 
I hope I have explained this in a way that is easy to read without confusing anyone. Anyone who can provide some feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:59am
So you want to assign specific colors to specific group values?
In the Chart Expert there is a Color highlight tab.
You can add 3 colors and assign them to a field value there.
e.g. table.color field is = to green then format color = green.
Is that what you want?
IP IP Logged
CRuserCERT9876
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote CRuserCERT9876 Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 10:23am
I have attempted to use the highlighting feature, but either a) I am not using it correctly or b) it will not work with the way I presently have the report set up.I have the items grouped by their status, red, yellow, and green. I then have a running total of those groups in the report. The Pie chart is based on the total of each of those groups. When I attempt to use the highlighting option I run into these snags:
 
1) I only have one formula in here that gives the Red (R), Yellow (Y), and Green (G) of the items. If I use the highlighting feature on the formula todays_status, I can only compare it to R,Y, or G, which is the output of todays_status. It calculates this value for each individual item in the report.  Since this is not the information I based my actual pie chart on, I can't utilize this function correctly on this report.
 
2) The only other option it gives me is to base it on the percentage of total collectors (i.e, a running total field of all the green, red, and yellow items respectively). It will only allow me to compare it against a number. This is unacceptable because I am not sure if all the items will be green, or if only two of the items will be red and the remainder green, or any other possible combination. If I were to base my comparison on a number I'd be making an assumption about the items that may or may not be true, depending on the circumstances.
 
As I said, there has to be a better way to implement this, but I am unsure as to what that method is. ..
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 11:28am
Don't bother with RTs.
For your Pie chart set your data tab as
on change of = status field
Show values as either a Count of any field that is on all rows or a DistinctCount of a primary field
In the highlighter use the value of status field is equal to condition as color of your choice.
Does that work?
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum