Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Incompatible Data? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
pgiering
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 37
Quote pgiering Replybullet Topic: Incompatible Data?
     Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 9:47am
Hi, please comment if you have any ideas.
I have two tables pertaining to our general ledger for accounting data.
 
The first table contains our actual transaction data, which includes a list of account numbers and actual transaction amounts associated with those accounts.
 
The second table contains the same list of account numbers and budget amounts associated with those accounts.
 
I have created a report which combines data from both tables to compare budget to actual results.  The tables are linked by account number.
 
When I start by adding account number to the report, I get the full chart of accounts.
 
When I then add either budget or actual amounts, I get a full list of either actual or budget amounts.
 
However, when I try adding both budget and actual amounts, the report drops any budget amounts that do not also have actual activity for that account.
 
I have been unable to resolve this, and will appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
 
Thanks,
 
Paul
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 9:56am
Change your join to a left outer join.
IP IP Logged
pgiering
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 37
Quote pgiering Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 10:29am
Thanks DBlank.  Joins are not my strong point, so I'm working with our IT guy to try this.  I'll post our progress, results or further questions. :)
IP IP Logged
pgiering
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 37
Quote pgiering Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 11:20am
Success!  I didn't realize it was so easy to modify join types in CR!  For anyone reading this post to resolve the same issue, I just right clicked on the line representing the link between the tables, selected Options, and chose the left outer join as the type.
 
Thanks again DBlank!
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 11:23am

Glad it worked.

One caveat / word of caution is if you use a select statement it can change your outer join back to an inner join. It all depends on specifics, so keep an eye out for that. Confused
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum