Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Grouping Report Data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
vbtoad
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote vbtoad Replybullet Topic: Grouping Report Data
     Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 12:48pm
I have created a report that lists applicants on a waiting list for housing.  It groups the records by property and then bedroom size.  Applicants are assigned a position number and have an application date.  I need the application date at the top of the list for each property displayed according to this grouping.  I can get everything I need except for the date in the group footer.  I can get it to display in the detail (see below).  The date is not necessarily the earliest or latest, it is however the date associated with the lowest position number for that bedroom size.
 
The detail looks like this -
 
PROPERTY          BDRM COUNT    DATE           POSITION
                                                  10/15/2007 1127
                                                                      2068
                                                                      2688
                                                                      2854
                                                                      2884
                                                                      2903
                                                                      2946
                                                                      3027
                                                                      3283
                                                                      3354
                                                                      3452
AVONDALE MANOR  2 11                                1127
 
In the above example I need the date on the last line based on the grouping described above.  Ideally, the report would list only a single line by bedroom size in each property.
 
Any ideas?
 

 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 1:13pm
Group on property then on bedroom size.
Open select expert
click on show formula
change toggle to Group selection
click on formula editor
add selection formula as
{table.positionnumber}=MINIMUM({table.positionnumber},{Group2field})
Hit OK
Suppress Group headers and footers and you should have one detail row per location per room size with the lowest position #.
 
 
IP IP Logged
vbtoad
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote vbtoad Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 4:13pm

Thank you!  Thank you!  Your suggestion worked.  I don't know how long I played around with the report trying to figure it out.  I guess my lack of experience was showing.  :>)

Now I am curious.....why did it work?  If I were to guess, it is because I changed the value of position to the minimum (smallest) number.  This kept the link between that number and the application date intact?  I was trying to go about it directly through the formula editor and not one associated with the selection criteria.  That appears to be the main difference.  Am I close?
 
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 4:30pm
The process I gave you made crystal actually exclude (not just suppress) all of the other rows from ther report leaving only that correct date. Does that answer what  you were asking?
IP IP Logged
vbtoad
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote vbtoad Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 11:02am
Yes, it does.  That makes perfect sense in fact.  I truly appreciate your assistance!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum