Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic Paramaters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JeanLuc39
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote JeanLuc39 Replybullet Topic: Dynamic Paramaters
     Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 4:39am
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Crystal and wonder if I might ask what's hopefully a simple question please:

I have a number of reports for which I'd like to produce dynamic parameters - the list of values can't be pulled straight from the relevant table as some of them are soft deleted, which is indicated by an boolean attribute either set to 0 or 1.

So for example, I may want to produce a dynamic list consisting of Names pulled from a table:

Bob Jones
John Smith


but in the table the list will appear like:

Analyst_Name                Deleted
Bob Jones                            0
John Smith                           0
Joe Bloggs                           1

As Joe has been soft deleted, I don't want him in the parameter list - any ideas how I could achieve this please?

Thank you
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 7:31am
If you can create views or Stored procs you can use the filters there to limit the list then use that as your source.
Will this work for you?
IP IP Logged
JeanLuc39
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote JeanLuc39 Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 1:37am
Hi DBlank,
 
Yes it would be possible to create a View on the database - but I'm not sure how I would then use that as part of the paramater itself.
 
Could you please advise?
 
Thanks, JL
IP IP Logged
JeanLuc39
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote JeanLuc39 Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 1:42am
Sorry just to add: We use version XI
 
Thanks !
IP IP Logged
JeanLuc39
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote JeanLuc39 Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 4:22am
OK, I wrote a View to return the names that aren't soft deleted correctly. When I select it as a Data Source for my paramater, it returns the expected results.
 
But when I run the report, I see: "cannot determine the queries necessary to get data for this report"
 
The view itself is not linked to any tables within the Database Diagram - dunno if this makes a difference?
 
Any help would be really appreciated, JL
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 8:57am
Is there a reason why is it not linked into the rest of your schema? Using sources that are not linked togther can make your report go haywire.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum