Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Scientific / Exponential Format Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Norstar2
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote Norstar2 Replybullet Topic: Scientific / Exponential Format
     Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 6:17am
I have a couple of fields on a report that I am needing to display in a Scientific format (ex: 1100 should display as 1.10E03).  I have been browsing through the help files and forums, and I have not been able to find a solution to do this formatting for me.

Could someone please advise me on how to achieve scientific formatting for a field on a report.

Thanks in advance!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 6:43am
Since this is not a 'standard' in formatting, I would write a function, and then use formulas to call the function to display the value.  this way you only have to determine the logic of the function 1x.
 
Now what would a function look like? That would be an interesting problem. 
1) you need to determine how many decimals to move
 a) account for the sign--might be negative
2) rounding to only 2 decimal places
3) returning the string
 
not too hard, but challenging enough.  give it a try.
 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum