Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Printing a barcode report in CR2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
cobill
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote cobill Replybullet Topic: Printing a barcode report in CR2008
     Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:48pm
I have a report (label actually) with a barcode that I'm printing to a Monarch thermal printer.  When creating the report, I did the right click.. change to barcode, then chose one of the two choises - code 3 of 9 or code 3 of 9 Full ASCII (I can't remember which it was right now), but both seem to convert to font Code39AzaelaWide2.ttf.   After moving the .rpt file to the test server along with the Crystal runtime and calling it with a C# program, instead of a barcode, we got an * followed by the field in plain text.  Some research indicated that was the symptom of a missing font, so I copied the Code39AzaleaWide2.ttf font from my hard drive to the test server and it worked fine.  Then I added the font to the production server along with the .rpt file and Crystal runtime and now instead of the barcode or an * followed by the field in plain text, I get random special characters.  I removed the barcode, just to test and got the * followed by the field in plain text, so I know Crystal is finding the font, but for some reason is not rendering it correctly as a barcode.  I wondered why the fonts are not part of the Crystal runtime.  Are they supposed to be purchased separately?  Is there something else I'm missing?  Can't figure out why it works perfectly when run from the test server, but when run from the production server and printing to the same printer I used to test with, I get no barcode.  Any suggestions?
cobill
IP IP Logged
sbodell
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote sbodell Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:24am
cobill -

have you found a resolution to this yet?

we're experiencing a similar problem. are you running crystal server on linux or windows? can you print a regular file from the server using the font? (as opposed to printing a crystal report)

thanks

sandy
IP IP Logged
cobill
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote cobill Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:31am
Sandy,
To be honest, getting Crystal to play nicely with our Monarch has been such a challenge that I forgot how we overcame this problem, but I think we got past it.  We still haven't proven out the concept and started using Crystal, so I know we havent' purchased the fonts from Azaela yet, but I think we got to the point that we could print barcodes on the production server.  When I get a chance to look back through my notes, I 'll see if I can find anything - should have updated this post back then.
cobill
IP IP Logged
cobill
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote cobill Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 11:06am
Sandy,
A co-worker with a better memory reminded me that as strange as this sounds, after installing the font on the production server, we had to do a reboot of the server before it would recognize and properly render the font.  That did the trick for us.  Of course, we've since hit other problems and had to shelve our Crystal aspirations for a while - we need to be able to handle different models of Monarch printers and that's got us stumped.
cobill
IP IP Logged
sbodell
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote sbodell Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 11:29am
cobill,
it does sound strange (but i can actually see it helping, too) at any rate, we tried it and it did not fix our problem.

thanks

sandy
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum