| Author |
Message |
Gritty Lady
Newbie
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
|

Topic: file copy! Need 2 distinct copies Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 5:09am |
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and an occasional crystal user. I'm on rev 8 I'm afraid, but am really hoping that somebody out there is going to be able to help me.
I have produced a certificate of conformity which uses a sub report to produce batch traceability info.
I need two copies and the second copy needs to be marked up as a 'file' copy. I'm really no expert and have spent a few hours exploring possibilities but nothing is giving me the results I need.
Is there anybody out there who can advise the best way to go about constructing this report?
I'd be glad of your help!
Thanks all
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 6:09am |
Here's the problem that you are facing, and how you might get around it. Crystal reads the data, from the first row to the last row of data...once, for the main report.
What you are wanting, is for it to read it twice. It will do this, but not for the main report. If you certificate was completely in a subreport, you can have 2 identical subreports except for the 'file' copy designation, because... Crystal reads from top to bottom, but when it hits a subreport, it goes off and reads all the data necessary for the subreport and then comes back to the main, so if you had 2 subreports, it would read the data twice, it is what makes subreporting take a hit to the performance of reports.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
Gritty Lady
Newbie
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 7:49am |
Thanks for the advice. If I've understood you right, you're suggesting I create a blank report, suppress the headers and footers and have two subreports, each with their own header, one marked copy.... fingers crossed I've understood you right, because it seems to make sense to me. I may have certs by morning!
Thanks again.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 7:55am |
|
that would work. Good luck
|
IP Logged |
|
Gritty Lady
Newbie
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:12am |
Hmmm.... just realised I'd be asking to run a subreport within a subreport within a report.... I think I tried something of the kind in one of my earlier experiments with the result that the 'top level' subreport ran but the lower level one didn't - at least the data I had been expecting didn't appear - do you think it's likely to work? Not being that clear on how things are actually working, I could be assuming that it didn't work because of the multi-level subreports, when it fact it could have been another error. I'd be glad of your input.
Thanks again
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:46am |
Crystal will only let you go down one level in subreporting.
So there is only the main report, and multiple subreports.
Depending on the headers/footers needed, you might be able to something like this in the detail section:
header info
subreport
footer info
next detail section
header info
subreport 2
footer info
have each detail section do a new page before...
does this work for you?
|
IP Logged |
|
Gritty Lady
Newbie
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:52am |
Yes, thank you, that makes sense. I'll give it a go. I'll let you know whether I managed it, but it could take some time.... thanks again.
|
IP Logged |
|
Gritty Lady
Newbie
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
|

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 1:19pm |
Hey! Thank you so much for your help! I have certs, identified as customer and file copies, printing off as one report! Delivery notes too! Just have reprints to sort and that'll be me, done. You've been a great help and I'm a little more knowledgable too.
Thanks again
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|