Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: summary help Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Author Message
dykstsam
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote dykstsam Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:27pm
I understand Like I said i know what I'm trying to do and what I am working with but it makes my head spin a bit. Yes I only have two tables The Blocks are defined by a 15 number unique Geo code the block groups have there own separate unique Geo code.

I just have been playing around with crystal reports and wonder if the insert sub report would work better. SO i guess as a side question if insert a sub report into a report then use it as a template will the sub report also change with the data. If it does I think that might be easier.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:33pm

Sub reports can be contingent on data in the main report if you link them properly.

So I am familiar with Geo Codes...How are you linking from the geocode level (table2) to table 1 and what is stored in table 1 that is need for the report?
It may be a straight forward prcess if I can "see" the data set up.
IP IP Logged
dykstsam
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote dykstsam Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:49pm
Table one is were 90 percent of my data is has everything from total population , race,  household type. And i may have misspoke it really isn't a geocode and more of a geo ID so I'm sorry about that, This process is a frying my brain. I guess I don't understand about this linking between the two tables they are completely separate from one another. to chose the ones I want I simply select the area that i want and ARCGIS has a wizard to make a access database and puts your selection into crystal reports. 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 1:14pm
Linking Crystal tables is not really different than SQL or Access.
I have never used ARCGIS so can't speak to it but table joins are both the beauty and bane of report writing. Sounds like you have GUI interface to get the data out and into crystal and no real control over the joins that are created.
Perhaps we are making this too difficult. It is clear that I mis read your first sample data...
Can you post a little more sample data without scrubbing it too much. Just a spreadheet. Fake the numbers and names if you need to keep it confidentail but not so much that I can't make out what it is suppose to be (like Chicago and New York as City1 and City2 not John and Jane).
IP IP Logged
dykstsam
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote dykstsam Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 6:22am
I do believe you are correct on the aspect of no real control over the joins. on a side note if there are columns with the same name in each table so if each table has a FID would that be the problem and its making a join for same name columns.

for the spreed sheet there is a lot of data within these tables so here is just a quick sample. Pretty much the rest of the data continues in the that fashion
Table One
FID,         GIS_CODE,         P008001_1,    P008002,   P008003,   P012001   
1     240910999911005            74                 65                3                 74
2     240910110022002            50                 33                6                 50
3     240910110034001            29                  7                 0                 29
4     240910110010909           104                55               14               104

Table 2
FID,         GISCODE,         SF3P008001,    P037001,   P037002,   P043001  
1       2409101101101            0                    0                  0                 0
2       2409101103309            204               102              12                66
3       2409101102502            501               139              99                29
4       2409101106609            74                 35                65               12



IP IP Logged
dykstsam
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote dykstsam Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 8:35am
I just found a work around on the data thank you for all your help. All I needed was to take the Max FID and then divide by the initial summary.

Thanks again
Sam
IP IP Logged
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum